From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Multicultural Commission Promotes Peace, Reconciliation

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Tue, 9 Oct 2001 14:46:29 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

October 9, 2001

ELCA MULTICULTURAL COMMISSION PROMOTES PEACE, RECONCILIATION
01-249-MR

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- In response to the devastating events of Sept.
11, the Commission for Multicultural Ministries (CMM) of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) developed a plan to help the church
promote peace and reconciliation.  CMM's steering committee approved the
plan and attended to other business when it met here Sept. 28-29.
     "While hate caused death and destruction in New York, Pennsylvania
and Virginia on Sept. 11, hatred is also causing death and destruction
since that fateful day," said the Rev. Frederick E.N. Rajan, CMM
executive director.
     Rajan said members of the Arab and south-Asian communities in the
United States have suffered from destructive forms of racism since Sept.
11.  "Two Sikhs have been killed and others have been badly beaten.  The
church is called upon to contradict the worldly message of fear,
isolation and suspicion which promotes acts of revenge, retaliation, war
and hate," he told the committee.
     "With the current climate of this nation, we must not and cannot
be silent," Rajan said.  He told the committee that CMM plans to
encourage congregations of the ELCA to "be the beacon of reconciliation"
in their communities.
     A component of the plan involves staff of CMM to start a public-
policy advocacy program on racial hatred issues in cooperation with the
Lutheran Office for Governmental Affairs (LOGA) and the ELCA Division
for Church in Society, Rajan said.  LOGA is the ELCA's federal public
policy advocacy office based in Washington, D.C.
     CMM also plans to develop a Web site dedicated to the church's
anti-hate efforts.  Rajan said the site will list resources on
dismantling racism and hate, and training opportunities offered by CMM
and other organizations involved in anti-hate efforts.  The site is
targeted to be "up and running in early 2002," Rajan said.
     The plan also involves staff of CMM to work with the eight
seminaries of the ELCA to develop Sunday bulletin inserts about people
from the Middle East.
     The committee put the plan into effect by issuing a memorandum to
the ELCA Church Council, the church's chief legislative body between its
churchwide assemblies.
     "In light of the tragic events of Sept. 11, it is evident that the
ELCA must be a bold witness to the healing message of the gospel," the
memorandum said.  It also asked the council to affirm CMM's plan.
     CMM provides advice, counsel and services to assist the ELCA in
working toward full participation of African American, Black, Asian and
Pacific Islander, Latino/Hispanic, Arab and Middle Eastern, and American
Indian and Alaska Native people in the church.
     The ELCA is made up of 5.13 million members in 10,816
congregations across the United States and Caribbean.   People of color
and/or whose primary language is not English make up a little more than
2 percent of the ELCA's membership.
     In other business, Grace G. El-Yateem, Salam Arabic (Lutheran)
Church, Brooklyn, was elected chair of the committee.  El-Yateem is
president of the ELCA's Association of Lutherans of Arab and Middle
Eastern Heritage.
     In an interview, El-Yateem said she supports the work of CMM.
"The commission makes a positive difference in individual lives and
communities.  It serves as a link between the organization [of the
church] and its members," she said.
     El-Yateem said her congregation has been affected by the Sept. 11
tragedy.  "Because we are seen as an Arabic congregation that welcomes
Muslims, we have been looked down upon by the average American.
However, the [crisis] has given us a chance to state that we are Arab
Christians, to say that we are totally against the tragedy on Sept. 11,
and we are horrified by it like everyone else.  We are united and will
stand against terrorism. "
     In a "special order of business," the committee met with the board
of the ELCA Division for Outreach (DO).  DO has developed "ethnic-
specific strategies" to develop new congregations and to support
existing congregations in each community the commission has identified.
     The division "has committed itself to increasing ethnic-specific
and multicultural ministries, so that we can move toward the goal the
ELCA has set for itself," said the Rev. Richard A. Magnus, DO executive
director.
     The ELCA has committed itself to have at least 10 percent of its
membership be people of color and/or whose primary language is not
English.
     "The way we are committed to meet the goal is through strong
partnership between the commission and division," Magnus said.
     "God has called us to work together," said Rajan.  "We want the
steering committee of CMM and the board of DO to provide direction and
strengthen our outreach efforts," he said.
     The committee and board will strive to improve communication
between the two units, share information and strengthen the processes by
which each does its work, according to Magnus.
     The commission holds an annual Multicultural Mission Institute to
help congregations and individuals of various ethnic and cultural
backgrounds "reach out to others and experience a multicultural
community."  The Institute, scheduled to take place Nov. 2-4 in Atlanta,
has been canceled.  The next Multicultural Mission Institute will take
place in Atlanta, Nov. 1-3, 2002.

For information contact: