From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Bishops Respond to Sept. 11 Attacks, Aftermath

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2001 15:22:24 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

October 11, 2001

ELCA BISHOPS RESPOND TO SEPT. 11 ATTACKS, AFTERMATH
01-251-JB

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Members of the Conference of Bishops of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) recommitted themselves "to
pray for the Church, the world and all who cry out," in a formal
response to the Sept. 11 attacks on the United States, and what follows.
The statement was contained in a letter to be sent by each bishop to
colleagues in their synods.
     The bishops adopted the response Oct. 8 during their five-day
meeting here Oct. 4-9.  The Conference of Bishops is an advisory body
consisting of the ELCA's 65 synod bishops, ELCA presiding bishop and
ELCA secretary.
     "We believe we are faced with a new urgency in coming days to be
stewards of the mysteries of God and to respond to the cries that have
been raised," the bishops' letter said.
     Pastoral and theological tasks will not be easy in the wake of the
attacks, the bishops said, adding that they trust God will provide
"wisdom, courage and grace" in the midst of the pain and uncertainty.
     "We will cling to the cross of Jesus Christ, trusting its promise
that God's ultimate will for this world is reconciliation and new life,"
the letter said.
     "We will continue to listen to the stories and to the voices that
cry out at this moment," the bishops declared. "We will continue to
listen for what the Spirit is saying to the Church.  Together with all
those who long for peace, we will speak God's Word and seek to embody
that Word with our lives and ministry."
     In an Oct. 7 statement, issued after United States and British
forces struck military targets in Afghanistan, the Rev. H. George
Anderson, ELCA presiding bishop, quoting from the ELCA social statement
"For Peace in God's World," said that Christians should advocate for
alternatives to war.  However, under certain circumstances, military
force may be needed to protect innocent people, he said.
     "Now that we are engaged in military action, we call on our
leaders and military forces to do all they can to protect civilians from
harm," Anderson said. "We urge that diplomatic efforts continue in an
effort to find peaceful solutions."
     Anderson called for prayers for elected leaders, civilians,
soldiers and their families.  He also called on ELCA congregations to be
"a calming influence in our communities."
     "Our congregations must be places of peace and prayer," Anderson's
statement continued. "Christians should treat all people with dignity
and respect," he said.  "We must promote unity and discourage division."

UPDATES FROM LEADERS IN METRO NEW YORK AND WASHINGTON, D.C.
     Before their formal response was adopted, the bishops heard from
church leaders in metropolitan New York and Washington, D.C. on Oct. 5.
Among those who spoke to them was the Rev. David H. Benke, president of
the Atlantic District, Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS).  Benke and
the Rev. Stephen P. Bouman, bishop of the ELCA Metropolitan New York
Synod, have worked together through Lutheran Disaster Response (LDR) to
provide a unified response in New York.
     "It feels way too good to be here," Benke said, acknowledging it
was unusual for an LCMS leader to address the ELCA Conference of
Bishops.  Benke said he was proud of the support and prayers he has
received from the Rev. Gerald B. Kieschnick, LCMS president, since the
attacks.
     From the start, Bouman and he agreed that Lutherans would respond
together, Benke said. "Steve and I have done something against the
grain," he said.
     Since the attacks, it has been important that church leaders
proclaim the gospel of hope, Benke said.  "If we don't bring the gospel
to that, what good are we?' he said.  "We've been placed here for this
moment."
     Noting the theological differences between the ELCA and LCMS,
Benke said it was unfortunate that it was a tragic event that brought
the two churches together.
     "If this is what it took to bring us together in prayer, we should
be ashamed," he told the ELCA bishops.  "I am ashamed about that."
     In his remarks, Bouman said at least 47 children who attend
Lutheran schools and early childhood centers in New York lost one or
more parents in the destruction of the World Trade Center.
     "Our pastors are magnificent," Bouman said to the bishops. "Our
brother and sister bishops are magnificent.  We hear you, and we feel
the love."  Bouman asked the bishops and church to "trust the church in
New Jersey and New York" to respond to a variety of human needs there.
     The Rev. E. Roy Riley, bishop of the ELCA New Jersey Synod,
Trenton, N.J., said he has observed a sensitivity shown to Muslims in
his area, something that might not have happened 25 years ago, he said.
Reasons include the culture's attention to sensitivity and racism
training efforts, Riley said.
     The Rev. Theodore F. Schneider, bishop of the ELCA Washington,
D.C., Synod, said it is difficult to get information about people
directly affected by the attack on the Pentagon because the nation's
capital is "locked down" during this uncertain period of time.  Violence
against some groups of people has taken place there, he said.
     "People want to talk," Schneider said. "People need to talk."
     An ELCA network to respond to prayer requests related to the
attacks has been established, Anderson said.  The "9/11 Prayer
Connection" is at http://www.prayingchurch.org
on the Web, he said.
     The attacks and aftermath represent a disaster that has happened
domestically, but its effects have been felt globally, said the Rev.
Gilbert B. Furst, LDR director, in a report to the bishops.  In response
to requests, a first installment of $439,000 has been sent for relief
efforts under way in New York and New Jersey, he reported.

STAY THE COURSE, SAID BOARD OF PENSIONS PRESIDENT
     The ELCA Board of Pensions maintains a diversified strategy to
"ride out" short-term disruptions of financial markets, said John G.
Kapanke, Board president, in a report to the bishops.  Among its many
services, the Board invests retirement contributions with a goal of
achieving a maximum rate of return, he said.
      Stock and balance funds were already down this year, but bond
markets were up, Kapanke said, adding that long-term rates of return for
these funds have been very favorable.  Kapanke also cited figures from
significant events in history which showed the financial markets
rebounded in the months following armed conflicts or terror attacks.
     "We know the markets will recover, and so we will stay the
course," Kapanke reported.  "A long-term, disciplined approach is the
way to go."

DOMESTIC DISASTERS:

Editors: When listing organizations receiving funds for aid to survivors
of major disasters inside the United States, Puerto Rico or the U.S.
Virgin Islands, please include:

ELCA Domestic Disaster Response
P.O. Box 71764
Chicago, IL  60694-1764