From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

United Methodists, Muslims affirm mutual respect

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Mon, 15 Oct 2001 16:39:07 -0500

Oct. 15, 2001  News media contact: Linda Bloom7(212) 870-38037New York
10-21-71BP{470}

NOTE: For additional coverage of the United Methodist Commission on
Christian Unity and Interreligious Concerns meeting, see UMNS stories #471
and #472. Photographs are available.

LOS ANGELES (UMNS) - A United Methodist commission and two Muslim groups
have issued a joint statement affirming a "common commitment to living
together, under God, in the unity of mutual respect and compassion."

The statement was made public on Oct. 12, when members of the United
Methodist Commission on Christian Unity and Interreligious Concerns visited
the Islamic Center of Southern California. Staff of the Muslim Public
Affairs Council, based in Los Angeles and Washington, also were involved in
the visit.

Besides promoting understanding between the two faith groups, the commission
hopes its visit will be a model for other United Methodists at a time when
national fears have resulted in anti-Muslim discrimination and retaliation.

Salam Al-Marayati, the Muslim Public Affairs Council's national director,
called the visit "a historic day" and expressed appreciation for the
commission's support. "Your presence here shows us what is great about
America," he added.

United Methodist Bishop Melvin Talbert, the denomination's ecumenical
officer, unveiled a plaque commemorating the occasion and presented a
decorative plate, a reproduction of Islamic art, as a gift to the center.

Together, the two faith groups noted their common roots, along with the
Jews, in the faith of Abraham, as well as common membership in the human
family.

In their statement, they expressed grief over the tragic events of Sept. 11.
"We have all been painfully reminded that there are those in our world who
choose evil over good, the ways of death over life, and hostility over
harmony. Together, we condemn terrorism. Together, we commend justice and
peace as God's will for the world."

The faith groups also called for greater understanding between Christians
and Muslims. "We join voices against all forms of racism and anti-Muslim,
anti-Jewish and anti-Christian attitudes and practices, wherever they occur.
We unite in our prayers for the victims of terrorism and their loved ones;
for the courageous rescuers; for the leaders of the nations; and for all who
stand in harm's way this day.

"While our faith traditions have clear differences, we share the common
commitment to living together, under God, in the unity of mutual respect and
compassion," the statement concluded. "We invite others to join in this
commitment."

# # #

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at: