From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutherans Take Part in 'Faith in the Face of Terror' Webcast

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2001 16:06:11 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

October 16, 2001

LUTHERANS TAKE PART IN 'FAITH IN THE FACE OF TERROR' WEBCAST
01-254-MR

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
(ELCA) and other faith organizations will participate in "Faith in the
Face of Terror" on the Internet at www.faithandvalues.com Oct. 22 from
10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Eastern Time.
     "Faith in the Face of Terror" will be streamed live and "on-
demand" over the Internet.  FaithandValues.com, Lexington, Ky., an
interfaith Web site supported by faith groups in the United States, will
host the Webcast.  The ELCA is a participant in  FaithandValues.com.
     The Webcast is designed for participants to contribute ideas,
resources, stories and analyses of faith responses in the aftermath of
Sept. 11 attacks in the Eastern United States.  The resulting report
will be available for downloading free on the Internet.
     "The power of telling our stories -- which move us from
consciousness to conscience and from reflection to action -- is
multiplied when it is done in one place and time," said John Lynner
Peterson, FaithandValues.com executive vice president for business
development.
     The Webcast will bring together a "diverse panel of religious
leaders," Peterson said.  They include Dr. Arthur Caliandro, senior
minister, Marble Collegiate Church, New York; Dr. Ingrid Mattson,
Islamic scholar, Hartford Seminary, Hartford, Conn.; Edward J. Murray,
president and CEO, Faith & Values Media, Lexington; Harrison "Lee"
Rainie, director, Pew Internet and the American Life Project Washington,
D.C.; and Dr. Robert E. Reccord, president, North American Mission
Board, Southern Baptist Convention, Alpharetta, Ga.
     Panelists will respond to questions, such as: "How does faith
contribute to terrorism?  How has our individual faith been strengthened
or weakened?  What are the options for multi-faith responses to this
tragedy?  And, how do we balance our responses to 9-11 in light of
ongoing social issues in the U.S. and abroad?" Peterson said.
     The Webcast will also feature discussion on the roles of faith
groups in the relief efforts and ongoing social issues surrounding Sept.
11.
-- --
     Information about "Faith in the Face of Terror" is available at
www.faithandvalues.com on the Web.

For information contact: