From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Griswold responds to article via letter to the editor

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date Thu, 18 Oct 2001 16:40:30 -0400 (EDT)

2001-295

Griswold responds to article via letter to the editor

     October 18, 2001

     To the Editor:

     I write in response to John Leo's reflections on a recent meeting of the bishops
of the Episcopal Church in the United States, and our concluding statement "On Waging
Reconciliation."  Far from "turning a blind eye to evil," as he asserts, our statement
spoke of the "shattering events of September 11," and condemned "ideology disguised as
true religion," which "wreaks havoc and sudden death."  The statement said that
"through this suffering, we have come into a new solidarity with those in other parts
of the world for whom the evil forces of terrorism are a continuing fear and reality."

     The Episcopal Church is part of the world-wide Anglican Communion and the bishops
reflected during the week-long meeting about faith and the question posed by Jesus,
"Who is my neighbor?"  We observed that as Christians we are called to radical peace-
making, which is, as we said, "nothing less than the right ordering of all things
according to God's passionate desire for justness, for the full flourishing of
humankind and all creation."

     Terrorism is indeed the worst threat our nation has ever faced.  We can give
thanks that, in the aftermath of this evil, not only have we witnessed incredible
courage and generosity on the part of our citizens, but that our nation is solidly
united to confront terrorism.

     During these dark days, millions of Americans have turned to churches for comfort
and meaning, even as churches have reached out to the grieving, the devastated, and the
frightened.  In our church we pray daily for our President and other national leaders,
for all of our military forces and their families, and for peace in the world.  Our
prayers are part of our commitment as a faith community to "wage reconciliation."

     The full statement of the bishops, "On Waging Reconciliation," and a report of our
meeting may be found on the Episcopal Church website at www.episcopalchurch.org.

     Sincerely,

     Frank T. Griswold
     Presiding Bishop and Primate