From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Bishop Urges Military Restraint, Attention on Terrorism Causes

From Brenda Williams <BRENDAW@ELCA.ORG>
Date Fri, 19 Oct 2001 10:19:30 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

October 19, 2001

ELCA BISHOP URGES MILITARY RESTRAINT, ATTENTION ON TERRORISM CAUSES
01-260-JB

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Rev. H. George Anderson, presiding bishop of
the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), asked President
George W. Bush to "exercise restraint in the use of military force" in
responding to the Sept. 11 attacks on the United States.  Anderson also
urged Bush and other leaders "to give studied attention to the root
causes of terrorism and the anger, fear and sense of hopelessness that
prompt a few to act so desperately and violently."
     Anderson made the comments Oct. 12 in a five-page letter addressed
to Bush.  The letter addressed a variety of issues related to the
attacks, the U.S. response, protecting civil liberties, concerns about
the crisis in the Middle East, healing and praying for peace.  Portions
of the letter follow up on actions from the 2001 ELCA Churchwide
Assembly related to the Middle East.
     Anderson will conclude his six-year term as presiding bishop Oct.
31.  The Rev. Mark S. Hanson, former bishop of the ELCA Saint Paul Area
Synod, was elected by the 2001 ELCA Churchwide Assembly to succeed
Anderson as presiding bishop beginning Nov. 1.
     On the U.S. military response in Afghanistan, Anderson wrote to
Bush that any response be undertaken in proportion to the aggression.
Innocent people in Afghanistan or elsewhere should not be added to the
"horrendous toll on civilians which occurred September 11," he wrote.
     "Any decision to use military force must be a mournful one, be
seen as a tragic concession to a sinful world, and be governed by 'just
war principles,'" Anderson said. Common action in response to common
threats is called for through the United Nations (U.N.) Security
Council, he said.
     "Intensified diplomatic activities, more than any other actions,
will demonstrate that collective efforts for good can and will prevail
over evil acts in a sinful world," Anderson said.
     Anderson said he is gratified that Bush announced outlays of $615
million in humanitarian assistance for the people of Afghanistan and
neighboring countries.  Some $295 million will be sent via United
Nations and humanitarian agencies to provide food and relief supplies,
Anderson observed.
     Writing that he welcomes sensible measures to provide for public
safety to address potential security threats, Anderson said nothing can
be gained by inhibiting or curtailing civil liberties that people depend
upon for the continued well-being of all who live in the United States.
     The ELCA has the "utmost regard for the authority of civil
government," but also recognizes its responsibility "to speak to secular
authority in terms of the values and principles which are paramount in
God's world," Anderson's letter said.
     "I support what you have done to protect citizens and other
residents in our country who are Muslim or Arab, or who appear to be
from the Middle East, from discrimination, prejudice, and acts of
hatred, and I encourage you to intensify these efforts," he said.  "I
appreciate that you have defined the campaign as one against terrorism
and not against Islam or Arabs."
     Protecting freedom of expression and the right of dissent is
essential at this time in the United States, the presiding bishop said.
     "While recognizing security concerns, the government has an
obligation to provide the public with accurate and up-to-date
information on the anti-terrorism campaign," Anderson said in his
letter. "I will urge members of the ELCA to be active and critical
participants in the public discussion of this campaign."
     "I hope that our congregations will be places where people with
different views on what should be done to curb terrorism can discuss
what they share and where they differ and learn from one another," he
added.
     Anderson also urged attention to causes of terrorism, in
particular causes that relate to Middle East issues.  Ending the "cycle
of violence" in Israel and Palestine is important to reconciliation
throughout the Middle East, he said.
     "Breaking this spiral of violence is also an important factor in
preventing the kind of terrorism that rocked the United States on
September 11," Anderson wrote.  "The cycle of violence includes the
violence inherent in decades of occupation: imprisonment without trial,
demolition of homes, torture, intimidation, destruction of thousands
upon thousands of olive trees and other crops, confiscation of land and
the building of settlements in disputed areas, economic strangulation
and so on."
     The United States should support U.N. proposals for the
introduction of observers and peacekeepers in the West Bank, Gaza and
East Jerusalem, Anderson wrote.
     The ELCA is praying for all who have died, mourn loved ones or
were injured in the Sept. 11 attacks, people in military service,
civilians, and those affected by broken relationships and the conflicts
that have resulted, he said.
     "We pray for you, Mr. President, the Congress, and those who serve
our country --particularly the nurses, doctors, counselors, rescue
workers, law enforcement officers and relief workers, who face special
challenges in the days ahead -- that we may be guided by both God's
wisdom and God's mercy.  Further we pray for all leaders of the world,
that together and with God's guiding spirit, we may address responsibly
the forces of evil among us that prefer darkness instead of light, death
instead of life, hate instead of love and fear instead of hope,"
Anderson concluded.

---------
     The complete text of Bishop Anderson's letter can be found on the
Lutheran Office for Governmental Affairs site at http://www.loga.org on
the Web.

For information contact: