From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Commission for Women Calls for Nonviolent Response

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Tue, 23 Oct 2001 11:53:57 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

October 23, 2001

ELCA COMMISSION FOR WOMEN CALLS FOR NONVIOLENT RESPONSE
01-261-FI

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The steering committee of the Commission for
Women of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) developed
a resolution here Oct. 12-14 to express its support for the church's
"Decade for a Culture of Nonviolence" by calling for a response to
terrorism that seeks "justice through legal, diplomatic and other
nonviolent means so as to enhance human security and prevent further
loss of life."
     "We worked on a resolution to respond in a nonviolent way to
the terrorist attacks of September 11 and to disseminate that message
in the church and in society," said James Lynch, steering committee's
vice chair, who is a student at the Yale School of Management, New
Haven, Conn.
     In 1999 the ELCA declared its cooperation with the
"International Decade for a Culture of Peace and Nonviolence for the
Children of the World" (2001-2010) of the United Nations and the
"Decade to Overcome Violence: Churches Seeking Reconciliation and
Peace" of the World Council of Churches (WCC).
     The Commission for Women adopted the ELCA's Decade for a
Culture of Nonviolence as a way to focus its work in the areas of
domestic violence, child abuse and sexual misconduct.
     "We are working on our strategic vision, and we felt a strong
need to hear some of the stories of women in this country of Arab
descent and the hate crimes they've experienced," said Lynch.
"Fundamentally and theologically we believe that retribution belongs
to God," he said.
     The commission is in a position to offer the church advice on
how to develop a just response to acts of terrorism and acts of
violence against people because of their gender, ethnicity or
religion, said Lynch.
     The resolution recalled the events of Sept. 11.  "Still in
recovery from such a shock we in the Commission for Women, with a
small but firm voice, offer counsel and support to our church as it
seeks to bring healing and peace," it said.
     "The reliance on violence to counter violence provokes a spiral
of retaliatory violence that results in greater numbers of people who
die, greater damage to societies and economies worldwide --
especially to the poor -- and greater damage to the earth for decades
to come," said the resolution.
     The commission resolved to "pray for the health, strength and
hope of people everywhere who are suffering in the aftermath of
September 11."
     It called on everyone "to assist this church in its
condemnation of all forms of hatred and violence directed towards
people of Middle Eastern descent, persons of Arab heritage, and
individuals and groups whose faith differs from our own, particularly
Muslims, in this national climate of fear following the tragic events
of September 11."
     The resolution noted the United States is receiving "urgent
pleas for peaceful solutions" from a variety of sources, including
the Lutheran World Federation (LWF) and WCC.  The ELCA is a member of
both the LWF and WCC.
     In keeping with the Decade for a Culture of Nonviolence, the
commission asked everyone to help Lutherans "think, feel, and act
nonviolently in all spheres of life."  It resolved to "lift up,
strengthen, expand and honor the nonviolent witness of those who
serve in conflicted areas at home and abroad."
     In other business, the steering committee decided to encourage
all ELCA divisions to take a fresh look at the church's resources on
the ordination of women and leadership for women in the church,
especially theological resources.
     "Many people in our church need a language again to articulate
why we ordain women, why women are encouraged to be in leadership
positions in this church," said Lynch.  "That can be an evangelism
tool in our outreach to new people," he added.
     The steering committee elected the Rev. Janet M. Corpus,
Lutheran Theological Seminary at Philadelphia, to a second two-year
term as chair.  Lynch was elected vice chair and chaired the meeting
in Corpus' absence.  The Rev. Paula Maeder Connor, Trinity Lutheran
Church, Lakewood, Ohio, was elected secretary.
-- -- --
     Resources for the ELCA's Decade for a Culture of Nonviolence
are linked to http://www.elca.org/co/decade.html on the ELCA Web
site.

For information contact: