From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Religious Communities Reject Domestic Violence in Chile

From "Frank Imhoff" <FRANKI@elca.org>
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2001 11:58:41 -0500

Need for More Active Pastoral Role Identified

SANTIAGO, Chile/GENEVA, 25 October 2001 (LWI) - Religious communities
in Chile have expressed serious concern about family violence
countrywide. It is estimated that more than 50 percent of women
living with or having lived with a man are victims of violence, and
73.6 percent of children are mistreated by their parents.

"We are convinced that nothing can justify violence in personal
relations and far less in families. Therefore we call upon schools,
families and the media to learn the ways of peace, good behavior and
non-violence," says a September statement signed by seven Protestant
churches and organizations including Lutheran churches, Roman
Catholic and Orthodox churches, and Islamic and Jewish communities.

The signatories note that there are multiple factors leading to
aggressivity, frustration and disaffection, making it hard to respond
to daily difficulties in family life through discussion and
participation.

The high rate of domestic violence and flouting of children's rights
"are forcing us to realize that we too are responsible for what is
happening and that our communities are also affected," the statement
says.

The religious communities recognize the need to develop a more active
pastoral role to resolve violence-related problems. They are opening
their doors as safe havens where situations are dealt with without
violence by offering hospitality, a place for discussion, inclusion
and integration.

"We appeal to the mass media to show our young people examples of
positive social behavior, not just the high rates of violence. They
must also tell us about alternative practices for settling
arguments," the statement says.

Peace in society must be brought about, the statement notes, with
respect for the rights of all members of society. "Femininity must
not be taken to mean passivity and silence in the face of abuse, and
masculinity must not be construed as shouting, bullying and beating.
The sick cycle that sometimes starts up in our relationships can be
halted through tolerance and respect."

(The LWF is a global communion of Christian churches in the Lutheran
tradition. Founded in 1947 in Lund (Sweden), the LWF now has 133
member churches in 73 countries representing over 60.5 million of the
64.3 million Lutherans worldwide. The LWF acts on behalf of its
member churches in areas of common interest such as ecumenical
relations, theology, humanitarian assistance, human rights,
communication, and the various aspects of mission and development
work. Its secretariat is located in Geneva, Switzerland.)

[Lutheran World Information (LWI) is the information service of the
Lutheran World Federation (LWF). Unless specifically noted, material
presented does not represent positions or opinions of the LWF or of
its various units. Where the dateline of an article contains the
notation (LWI), the material may be freely reproduced with
acknowledgment.]

LUTHERAN WORLD INFORMATION
PO Box 2100, CH-1211 Geneva 2, Switzerland
Editor's e-mail: pmu@lutheranworld.org
Tel: (41.22) 791.63.54
Fax: (41.22) 791.66.30
http://www.lutheranworld.org/News/Articles/EN/LWI