From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: KIM RESIGNS EDUCATIONAL MINISTRIES POST

From RICH.SCHRAMM@ecunet.org
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2001 16:18:50 -0400 (EDT)

AMERICAN BAPTIST NEWS SERVICE
Office of Communication
American Baptist Churches USA
P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851
Phone: (610)768-2077 / Fax: (610)768-2320
Web: www.abc-usa.org
Richard W. Schramm, Director
 E-mail: richard.schramm@abc-usa.org

KIM RESIGNS AS EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF
AMERICAN BAPTIST EDUCATIONAL MINISTRIES
 Dr. Jean B. Kim, executive director of American
Baptist Educational Ministries for the past 13 years, has
resigned that position, effective immediately.
 Kim's resignation was accepted yesterday by
Board of Educational Ministries President William Apel and
the BEM Executive Committee.  American Baptist Churches
USA Interim General Secretary Robert H. Roberts, in consultation
with the BEM Executive Committee, has named as acting
executive director Daniel Rawleigh, treasurer and chief
operating officer of Educational Ministries.
 In a meeting yesterday with Educational Ministries
staff, Kim emphasized the need for new leadership at a
critical point when a "new vision and new organization" is
called for "to claim God's purpose in discipleship
ministries" for American Baptist Churches USA.
 American Baptist Churches USA President Trinette
V. McCray, who previously served as president of the
Board of Educational Ministries, lifted up Kim's many
significant accomplishments in ministries of education: "I
had been privileged to serve on the Board of Educational
Ministries and as its president during the leadership of Dr.
Jean Kim.  Jean's commitment and strong desire to meet
the needs of God's people for education, training,
leadership development, and discipleship making has been
a driving force in her that I have witnessed over my nine
years of denominational leadership.  As ABCUSA president
I honor the presence of God in Jean's ministry and her
faithful service to advance our educational mission.
Through her leadership we have broken new ground in
publishing books to an African American readership,
regional partnerships for the deployment of EM staff, and
the advancement of our focus on our primary task of
discipleship making.  I am grateful for Jean's long and
strong contribution to the ministry and mission
of the ABCUSA in this capacity.  Jean is a faithful
denominational leader who has demonstrated God's
fortitude during challenging times."
 Interim General Secretary Robert Roberts also praised
Kim's commitment and accomplishments: "I have deep
and profound appreciation for the passion and giftedness
that Jean brought to Educational Ministries over a 13-year
period.  Jean and her staff touched the lives of thousands
of children, youth and adults for good, for God and for the
gospel.  Educational Ministries will be in a position to
receive a bold new vision of discipleship ministry as it
builds on the foundation Jean has left in place."
 Kim became the first woman to head a national
program board of American Baptist Churches USA when
she became executive director of Educational Ministries in
January 1989.  She had been a member of the
denomination's General Board and had served as vice
president of the Board of Educational Ministries for two
years prior to her staff appointment.
 Kim additionally has served as a national secretary
of American Baptist Churches USA concurrently during her
service as executive director.
 Previously Kim was vice president, academic dean
and faculty member at American Baptist-related Eastern
College, St. Davids, Pa.  She also had served on the
faculty of Haverford College.  Kim, who holds the A.B.
degree from Eastern and a Ph.D. from Bryn Mawr College,
taught chemistry at both schools.
 Rawleigh, who joined Educational Ministries' staff
in February 1999, is an ordained minister and a member
of First Baptist Church, Philadelphia, where he serves as
moderator and chair of the board of trustees.  He noted
both sadness and a sense of new opportunities for service:
"God has given a gift to Educational Ministries. There is
potential for a new day-a new direction for Educational
Ministries. My prayer is that we will all look forward as we
grasp this mission."

WFN1025A.TXT

 -0-