From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Council for World Mission Supports Aboriginal Employment Projects

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@wfn.org>
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2001 14:55:28 -0700

Taiwan Church News 2590 October 21, 2001
Reported by Uidy Kao,  Written by David Alexander
    No matter how accustomed one might be to the winter cold, it is felt
more intensely when one is unemployed.  This year winter comes to Taiwan
on top of a global economic downturn that has hit aborigines on the
lowest rungs of this nation's economic ladder.  The Council for World
Mission (CWM) , a community of 31 mainline Protestant churches worldwide
head quartered in London, has made a grant of ten million Taiwan Yuan
(equal to 210,615 Pounds Sterling or 343,406 Euros) to help fund three
projects which promote self development of aboriginal employment
opportunities.    Locally the funds will support: an environmental
services company that grew from the ministry of Chang-shan Presbyterian
Church in Chang-hwa City; a handicrafts center established through the
Aboriginal Community Development Centre in Taitung County and the
establishment of the Formosa Workshop, an employment training and
introduction center for aborigines who have relocated to Taipei City.
    The CWM's self support fund is devoted to the support of weak groups
taking early steps towards long term self empowerment.  Kao Huei-ti, of
the Formosa Workshop, said, "with this support we will be better able to
search out the most suitable training opportunities offered through
various government agencies and serve as a clearing house for employment
opportunities which we will introduce to aborigines in Taipei.  In the
Hsin-chu area we will establish an environmental cleanup company and an
alliance of caregivers as foundations for the future economic
empowerment of Taiwan's aboriginal people.
    The formal establishment of the Formosa Workshop was celebrated on
October 11th at Camphor Tree Presbyterian Church.  The Rev. Chen Rong-fu
preached on the topic, "Don't Disappoint God".  He encouraged the staff
and clients of the workshop asserting that "God does not want us to be
discouraged, neither does the CWM. Therefore, we should endeavor not to
disappoint God."
      Shuang-lien Presbyterian Church in Taipei has also committed funds
to the support of the workshop. Rev. Chen Wen-chin commented that the
non aboriginal people of Taiwan (97% of the population) must humbly
assist in the future of the nation's aboriginal population and thereby
establish a better race relations environment here.
For more information:
   Formosa Workshop  Tel: +886 2 2596 4508
   Camphor Tree Church Tel: +886 2 2642 6029