From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Taiwan Church Leaders Respond to US/UK Attacks on Afghanistan

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@wfn.org>
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2001 15:00:07 -0700

Taiwan Church News 2589   October 14, 2001
Reported by Taipei Bureau,  Written by David Alexander

      Following the September 11th terrorist attacks on the USA church
leaders in Taiwan responded with prayers, statements and exhortations to
hope.  The Presbyterian Church in Taiwan (PCT) appropriated funds within
hours of the attack so that her partner communions in the USA could more
swiftly move into offering needed services.
      Upon hearing of the joint attacks by the USA and the UK on
Afghanistan, local church leaders had various comments and responses.
The Rev. Mr. William J.K. Lo, PCT General Secretary, began by reminding
all people that Christians call for justice and peace, and naturally
oppose aggressive warfare.  But he sees the need for a response in
reprimand for the terrorist activities.  "The USA cannot ignore the
terrorist threat and must protect her people and their freedom, so the
response will not be gentle. It must, however, be measured, not a quick
reaction to the events of September 11th.  The USA must deeply reflect
on its relationship to the nations of the Middle East.  With its allies
it must also reflect carefully on the theological implications so that
this not be seen as a religious war."
      Rev. Lo also called on all people to engage in rescue and relief
work through the international relationships of the PCT and World
Vision.  "We must stand on faith, and operate from Christian ethics, not
neglecting to pray."
      Cardinal Paul Shan, Chairman of the Regional Conference of Catholic
Bishops, said, "At this time we must pray, calling on the Lord to limit
this warfare and bring it to a swift end.  Terrorism rises suddenly, but
the sources of the conflicts between the Muslim world and the West
(including Israel) are complex and longstanding. These must be solved
from their roots."  Cardinal Shan said the United Nations should call on
mid-sized and weak countries to act as mediators in this conflict. The
UN must find a suitable and long term way to resolve the situation
existing between the Islamic world on the one hand, and Israel and the
West on the other. Respect for human rights, justice, love, patience and
healing must be part of the discussion.  He sees the sources of radical
terrorist activity in the weakness of oppressed people. "We must all
pray that this situation can be transformed into peace."
      Methodist district superintendent Tzeng Chi-hung said, "I approve
of the USA sending troops because terrorist behavior, if not halted,
becomes more and more difficult to prevent as it spreads." Rev. Tzeng
calls terrorists, "unjust and unrighteous."  "They are not helping the
poor, and their leaders are radical.  They are blind to persons and to
peace. Though they call themselves theological students, they are
basically followers of a sectarian group, validating themselves by their
own interpretations of the Koran.  Theirs is not Islam. They follow a
false religion."
      Professor Te* Iong-un of Taiwan Theological Seminary, who serves on
the central committee of the World Council of Churches, said, "War gives
no human benefit. I hope that this war does not turn into a racial or
religious battle. We must not see the Islamic people as our enemies.
Most Muslims are lovers of peace. Christians should pray for an early
end to this war, and for those who suffer from warfare.  Non- combatants
already include over a million refugees who have had to flee.  The
misery is widespread."
      PCT Moderator Rev. Yabu Syat said, "Although we are not willing to
see terrorist activity continue, yet we are also unwilling to see war.
But we are very moved that the USA is still pursuing the path of war.
We will engage in ardent prayer for all the victims, no matter if from
the attack on September 11th, or those who become victims in the current
fighting."

For More Information:
Rev. William Lo  wmlo@mail.pct.org.tw
Rev. Yabu Syat  rs190@ms1.gsn.gov.tw
Cardinal Paul Shan  Tel: +886 2 2578 2355,  FAX +886 2 2577 3874
Methodist District Superintendent   FAX +886 2 2705 8526

The Taiwan Church News is Taiwan's Oldest Newspaper, having been
published continuously since 1885.  It is an agency of the Presbyterian
Church in Taiwan.
Contact: pctpress@ms1.hinet.net ,   www.pctpress.com.tw