From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Web site answers tough questions

From BethAH <BethAH@mbm.org>
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2001 15:59:49 -0500

June 6, 2001
Beth Hawn
Mennonite Board of Missions
(219) 294-7523
<NEWS@MBM.org>

June 6, 2001

Web site answers tough questions from visitors

HARRISONBURG, Va. (MBM)  What role does a young woman have in
the Mennonite Church?  Are there any Mennonite churches near
Union City, Calif.?  Do you believe that speaking in tongues is
required for salvation?

Each month, the Third Way Cafi site (www.thirdway.com) receives
an average of 50-70 such inquiries from people from all walks of
life:  researchers; clergy and laypeople from other
denominations; and ordinary people who want to know more about
Mennonite beliefs, practices and differences between various
Mennonite and Amish groups.  Erma Brunk, response associate for
Third Way Cafi, fields most of the questions about Mennonites
sent in from on-line visitors, answering each one personally.
She also responds to questions sent to the Mennonite Church USA
web site (http://mcusa.mennonite.net).

In March, two people asked why Mennonite women wear head
coverings and what is the scriptural basis for it.  Brunk
responded that the practice is now mainly found among more
traditional groups of Mennonites and cited the passage in 1
Corinthians 11.

One woman asked, What role does a young woman have in the
Mennonite Church?  Is she encouraged to study or continue her
education after home-schooling?  Is she expected to marry within
the church and are there arranged marriages? Is there a Mennonite
college for youth?

A Christian Reformed Church pastor requested information for a
youth study on North American Christian traditions that she was
writing.  She wanted to include suggestions for further reading
of Mennonite authors and poets, a faith profile of a leader in
the tradition, and a prayer/meditation written by a founding or
contemporary Mennonite leader.  Brunk suggested the writings of
Jean Janzen and Julia Kasdorf, Louis Stoltzfus Quiet Shouts
(which profiles various women leaders from past and present in
Lancaster Mennonite Conference), and a reflection by Menno
Simons.

At times, the web site even becomes a means of accountability.
Someone wrote back saying, I have struggled with the temptation
of sex outside of a monogamous committed relationship.  Knowing
there is a biblical standard supporting me to celibacy or
marriage is truth and hope.  The standard has acted like training
wheels protecting me, allowing me to learn about my humanity, far
safer than if there had been no guidance.  I just thank you for
it and pray Gods grace upon it.

A nursing student, who was writing a research paper and nursing
care plan for a prospective pregnant Mennonite, wanted to know
some common health-care concerns during pregnancy, whether
breastfeeding is encouraged, if mothers follow any special diet,
and whether they get periodic obstetrical/prenatal care.

Two individuals expressed their surprise at a statement on the
Mennonite Church USA web site saying that some [Mennonites]
choose not to pay the portion of their income taxes that goes to
maintaining the military.  Said one, I am curious to know how
one can go about making this choice and not be penalized by the
Internal Revenue Service for underpayment of taxes.

Answering the questions of visitors is one objective of Third Way
Cafi, launched in May 1998 to serve as a relevant outreach to
todays on-line generation.  It has challenged me to put into
words my understanding of Mennonite faith, Brunk said.  I love
the challenge of it.  She previously served as a mission worker
in Italy and as an acquisitions librarian at Union Theological
Seminary, in Richmond, Va.

While some inquiries deal with common questions concerning
Mennonite doctrine and dress, others focus on deeper theological
issues and biblical interpretation.  A recent message, for
example, posed these two questions:  1) What do Mennonites
believe is the fate of unbelievers, those who have never heard
the gospel?  2) How do you explain apostolic continuity in the
Mennonite Church?  To answer such questions, Brunk consults with
seminary professors or pastors, in addition to the Confession of
Faith in a Mennonite Perspective, and refers people to
appropriate experts or other web sites.

Inquiries to Third Way Cafi come from children as well as
adults.  A 10-year-old from Minnesota named Erin wanted help on
researching the migrations of Mennonites.  After the staff sent
her information, she responded, You gave me the exact info I
needed.  I think I am going to get a good grade.  I also have to
build a Mennonite out of scratch.  It will be hard but with the
help of my dad I think it will be cool.

To receive a quarterly e-mail subscription, which gives an update
regarding the responses that come to Third Way Cafi, sign up at
Response@mennomedia.org, and type subscribe in the subject
line.

* * *

Kent Fellenbaum