From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Augsburg Fortress Ceo Will Not Seek Third Term, Search Process Begun

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2001 12:39:06 -0600

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

October 30, 2001

AUGSBURG FORTRESS CEO WILL NOT SEEK THIRD TERM, SEARCH PROCESS BEGUN
01-268-JB

     MINNEAPOLIS (ELCA) -- The Rev. Marvin L. Roloff, president and
chief executive officer of Augsburg Fortress, the publishing house of
the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), announced Oct. 26 he
will not seek a third term when his present four-year term concludes in
2004.  Roloff, 67, informed the board of trustees of Augsburg Fortress
of his plans during the board's Oct. 25-27 meeting here.
     Following Roloff's announcement, the board adopted a resolution
that outlined a search process for his successor.
     The board's executive committee selected a firm that will work
with the board of trustees to study leadership needs, and it named a
search committee for Roloff's successor, Timothy I. Maudlin, board
chair, Eden Prairie, Minn., said in a report to the board.
     The study process may go into the first quarter of 2002, Maudlin
said.  It is intended to listen to key church stakeholders and invite
suggestions about qualities needed for leadership of Augsburg Fortress,
he said.  Key stakeholders include church leaders, customers and
employees, he said.
     After a position description is determined with input from the
study, the board, in consultation with and with approval of the ELCA
presiding bishop, is expecting to elect a successor sometime in 2002,
Maudlin said.
     The ELCA constitution specifies a process by which a president and
chief executive officer for Augsburg Fortress is selected.  The ELCA
presiding bishop and search committee work together to determine a
nominee. The president and chief executive officer is elected by the
Augsburg Fortress board of trustees.
     Roloff, who will serve on the search committee, is expected to
work with the next president and chief executive officer in a transition
period, Maudlin said.  Roloff may remain with the company in another
capacity depending on the wishes of his successor, Maudlin said.
Maudlin praised Roloff for his longtime work for the publisher and for
informing the executive committee early of his plans.
     Roloff informed Augsburg Fortress employees of his plans in a
series of meetings at the publisher's offices here after he made his
announcement to the trustees.  The company has 300 employees here and
across the country.
     "It is not easy to leave a job I have loved for many years," said
Roloff, who has been with the publisher for 36 years.  "I'm making this
announcement now to allow the board to seek new leadership and provide
for a smooth transition.  I thank God for allowing me to be a servant in
church publishing."
     "I am deeply appreciative of Marv Roloff's work as the leader for
Augsburg Fortress Publishers," said the Rev. H. George Anderson, ELCA
presiding bishop.  "Under his leadership, the publishing house has
reshaped itself to compete in today's publishing climate, integrated
modern technology into its operations and worked to maintain its role as
a ministry of the ELCA.  I wish Marv and Augsburg Fortress every good
fortune as they look to the future."
          Roloff said he is not planning to retire and said he may
remain involved in publishing.  In an interview, he said he is
interested in teaching and in projects that address causes of violence
and ways to overcome it in homes and workplaces, he said.
     "I want to thank God for the rich ministry I have had in
publishing," he said.  "It has been a privilege to be entrusted with the
leadership of the ELCA publishing house."
     "I thank the congregations of this church for their loyalty to
Augsburg Fortress Publishers," Roloff said.  "The partnership that the
publishing house has with congregations is vital to fulfilling the
mission of this church."
     Roloff also challenged the church to communicate with the
publishing house beyond purchasing materials.  Congregations and members
must inform the publisher about how it can
better serve the ELCA, he added.
     Roloff first became the leader for Augsburg Fortress in 1995, when
he served for one year as acting president and chief executive officer
succeeding Gary J.N. Aamodt, who resigned. He was elected to a four-year
term that began in 1996, and re-elected to a second four-year term which
began in 2000.
     During his tenure, Augsburg Fortress closed its printing
facilities, centralized order-taking and distribution, implemented new
technology, and developed its Web site and online store. The company
reorganized its operations twice hoping to serve the church more
effectively and improve its financial situation.  It also reduced staff
during the reorganizations.   Presently, the company is working to
stabilize its finances and rebuild its assets.
     Roloff said he would have preferred to leave at a time when the
publisher was "in better financial health."  "My decision is not an
effort to escape the issues ahead of us," Roloff said in an interview.
"I recognize that a change in leadership may be able to effect some
change."
     Roloff earned a bachelor's degree in 1955 from Wartburg College,
Waverly, Iowa, an ELCA higher education institution.  In 1960 he earned
a bachelor of divinity degree from Wartburg Theological Seminary,
Dubuque, Iowa, an ELCA seminary.  He earned a master of theology degree
from Princeton Theological Seminary, Princeton, N.J. in 1961.
     Roloff was ordained in 1961.  He served as a pastor of youth and
education at Grace Lutheran Church, Green Bay, Wis.  Roloff began
working with the Augsburg Publishing House of the former American
Lutheran Church (ALC) in 1965 as editor of the "Word, Faith, Grace"
confirmation series.  He served in curriculum and resource development,
and in 1976 became director for education resources for Augsburg.
     Roloff remained with the company when Augsburg Fortress Publishers
was formed after the ALC merged with the Lutheran Church in America and
the Association of Evangelical Lutheran Churches in 1987 to form the
ELCA. Roloff served as vice president for marketing from 1991 to 1993
and customer resources and relationships from 1993 to 1995 for Augsburg
Fortress.      Roloff served as consultant to the United States Armed
Forces Curriculum Selection Committee for 21 years.  From 1997 to 1999,
he was president of the Protestant Church-Owned Publishers' Association.
Roloff was a member of the national advisory committee of the American
Bible Society.  As a member of the executive committee of the National
Council of Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.'s governing body, he chaired
its Bible Translation and Utilization Committee for the past five years.
     Roloff has been adjunct professor of Christian education at Luther
Seminary, an ELCA seminary in St. Paul, Minn., for 11 years and a guest
lecturer at numerous other seminaries.  In 1994, Wartburg Seminary
awarded him an honorary doctorate.
     Roloff and his wife, Shirley, are parents of three grown children.
The Roloffs are members of Christ the King Lutheran Church, Bloomington,
Minn., and reside in Bloomington.

For information contact: