From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutherans Sponsor Online Conference on Faith, Health

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2001 13:31:56 -0600

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

October 30, 2001

LUTHERANS SPONSOR ONLINE CONFERENCE ON FAITH, HEALTH
01-270-FI

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Seven "storytellers," five commentators and 360
registered guests from around the world got together on the Web at
http://www.faithandlifeforum.org/ for four weeks of conversation about
health, health care, health care professions and the Christian faith.
"For the Love of Life: Living Faithfully for Good Health" was sponsored
Sept. 10-Oct. 7 by the Faith and Life Forum -- an independent nonprofit
corporation organized by lay members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church
in America (ELCA).
     "As Christians we live in a world of incredible scientific and
medical advances.  Yet, there are many people who experience pain,
disillusionment, frustrations, dilemmas, shortfalls and problems even as
they are healed through, serve in or simply engage with our country's
'health care system,'" said the online conference thesis.
     The conference targeted several questions: "How do we as people of
faith view our vocations of self, family, workplace and community as
they pertain to health and this health care system?  What is our
responsibility for our own health and the health of the public?  What is
our understanding of our vocation as a health care worker or as a
patient?"
     The seven storytellers were anonymous.  "Carole" was caring for
her children and her parents, "Claire" was a mother and doctor in family
practice, "Cornelia" was a doctoral candidate studying public health,
"Diana" was a pathologist working in cancer and blood disease research
and clinical laboratories, "John" was the retired director of a local
YMCA, "Karen" was an organ recipient living off disability payments, and
"Lisa" is a young nurse working in the psychiatric unit of a local
hospital.
     After each told her or his story, each of the five commentators
shared his or her opinion of what was said.  The five commentators were
Dr. Kenneth Bakken, president, Health Vision International, Seattle;
Helen Doerpinghaus, associate professor of insurance, Moore School of
Business, University of South Carolina, Columbia; the Rev. Daryl "Tony"
S. Everett, professor of pastoral care, Lutheran Theological Southern
Seminary, Columbia; Dr. Norma J. Hirsch, physician, health care
consultant and end-of-life counselor, Des Moines, Iowa; and Wisconsin
State Representative Gregg Underheim (R-54th District), Oshkosh.
     The stories and commentaries were designed to spur conversation
among the 360 participants.  Registration information showed the group
represented a variety of occupations -- from attorneys to journalists --
and a variety of faith perspectives, including Jewish participants.
     Everett served as the conference theologian-in-residence.  He
opened each day's conversation with a Bible study to lead the discussion
in a theological direction.  "How do you experience comfort from others?