From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Anglican Statement for World AIDS Day

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2001 14:45:28 -0800

A Statement for World AIDS Day

from the Rt Rev Robert Forsyth, Bishop of South Sydney
"There is every possibility that our natural concerns about global terrorism
since September 11 may have blinded us, even temporarily, to other major
crises that confront us as members of the Australian community, and as world
citizens.

"It's vitally important that isn't the case, for another world pandemic also
confronts us, and urgently.

"Tomorrow, Saturday December 1, will be universally observed as World Aids
Day. Many people, families, spouses, partners or friends, will grieve for
their loved ones; many others will be apprehensive and worried, uncertain as
to what lies before them.

"UN statistics show that as we near the end of 2001, an estimated 40 million
people globally are living with HIV/AIDS. About one-third of those currently
living with HIV/AIDS are aged 15-24, with young women particularly
vulnerable. AIDS has killed 2.3 million people on the African Continent this
year. 7.1 million in Asia and the Pacific are presently living with
HIV/AIDS. This is truly the most devastating disease this world has ever
faced.

"In June this year, a UN Assembly Special Session devised a framework of
national and international accountability in the global endeavour to end
this epidemic. Our Australian Government is committed to playing its part in
the Asia Pacific region. It's essential that our whole community supports
our Government and all health and caring agencies who work for compassionate
care for victims, and in the search to find a solution to controlling this
disease.

"I call upon Christian believers, and other people of good will, to pray for
those who suffer and mourn, and to be actively concerned for this crucial
issue.

"Engagement, compassion, sympathy and understanding are required, especially
from those who are committed to the words of Jesus Christ, 'Love one
another, even as I have loved you.'"

from the email address which has been subscribed.

Please send QUESTIONS or COMMENTS to acnslist@anglicancommunion.org

ACNS 2786 - AUSTRALIA - 30 November 2001