From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Presbyterian Publishing Corporation reissues Rogers' Confessions of

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 7 Jan 2002 14:40:13 -0500

Note #6998 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

a Conservative Evangelical
07-January-2002
02008

Presbyterian Publishing Corporation reissues Rogers' Confessions of a
Conservative Evangelical

Moderator's classic first published 27 years ago

by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE - General Assembly moderator Jack Rogers' classic book,
Confessions of a Conservative Evangelical, first published 27 years ago, has
been reissued by the Presbyterian Publishing Corporation.

	The re-release of Rogers' book is particularly timely, as he has been
embroiled in disputes with the conservative-evangelical constituency of the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) since well before his election as moderator of
the General Assembly last June. Those tensions have continued to mount
during his moderatorial year.

	The second edition of the book includes a new preface in which Rogers
describes himself as a "straight, uptight, conservative Christian" who is
"seeking to be more biblical and evangelical."

	Rogers writes: "By telling my story I hope to stimulate discussion by those
on the right, the left and all points in between ... To be evangelical is to
learn from the past, to bear witness to an ever new and deepening faith in
Christ in the present, and to be open to the future God has for us. My basic
Reformed theological position and my evangelical method of biblical
interpretation have not changed."

	Explaining the decision to reissue Rogers' book, PPC president and
publisher Davis Perkins said, "By speaking bluntly and theologically to the
controversial issues vexing the denomination at present, Rogers has come
under extraordinary scrutiny in terms of how he is perceived to be faithful
or unfaithful to his origins as a conservative evangelical. We determined
that the Presbyterian Church would be well served if Confessions of a
Conservative Evangelical was made available again."

	The book is available from Geneva Press for $8.95 and can be ordered by
calling 800-227-2872.