From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Short-term mission opens doors

From Beth Hawn <bethah@mbm.org>
Date Fri, 18 Jan 2002 14:25:23 -0500

Mennonite Board of Missions
<news@MBM.org>

January 9, 2002

Short-term mission opens doors to lifetime of service

GOSHEN, Ind. (MBM) - Rachel Kauffman first set foot on Beninese
soil in 1998 when she was participating in Goshen (Ind.)
College's Study Service Term in Cote d'Ivoire.  Because of an
interest in environmental health and because she loves to travel,
Kauffman accepted a service assignment with a garbage-collection
and recycling agency in Benin, a West African country two days to
the east of Cote d'Ivoire by "bush taxi"(used cars shipped from
Europe that serve as public transportation).

"The prospect of physical work attracted me," Kauffman said.  "I
would rather do than sit around reading and theorizing."
Kauffman certainly got plenty of exercise in the tropical sun as
she entered into all aspects of the program for community
development and environmental hygiene (DCAM).

DCAM is the community health department of Bethesda Health
Center, a Christian hospital that Mennonite Board of Missions
helped 30 denominations to create in 1990.  Bethesda Health
Center is located in a low-income neighborhood in Cotonou,
Benin's capital city.

Ten years ago Bethesda's doors opened onto streets clogged with
garbage, as there were no sanitation services provided by the
government.  In fact, the neighborhood was built on garbage.
People who could not afford to buy land created it by filling
swamps with garbage.  Bethesda's doctors soon realized that
curative medicine was useless if their healed patients returned
to an unhealthy environment.

As a response, Bethesda appointed Raphael Edou, a dynamic young
Beninese agronomist with a firm commitment to Jesus Christ and a
strong belief in the power of people working together, to develop
a community health department for their institution.  After a
year of listening to the community around Bethesda Health Center,
a neighborhood of 40,000 inhabitants, Edou went into action.

Today, the garbage-collection and recycling project, along with
its support programs, has grown into a multi-million-dollar
nonprofit organization that employs 200 people.  Garbage is
collected in pushcarts and then sorted manually.  Plastic is
crushed into granulate and sold to manufacturers for tubing.
Scrap paper is processed together with wood shavings to make
briquette-logs for cooking fires.  A third of the garbage is
biodegradable and is composted for use on an organic experimental
farm.

After participating in awareness-raising seminars, the community
elected a development association that is representative of the
population, including women, youth and artisan groups, as well as
the traditional elders.  When it became evident that economic
security plays an important role in health, a community bank was
created along with financial counseling to permit people to begin
their own small businesses.

Research is an important component of DCAM.  Experimentation is
continually carried out to find economically profitable ways to
recycle other parts of garbage (metal, cloth, glass) that are
currently being stockpiled.

In the fall of 2000, DCAM signed a contract with the municipal
government of Cotonou, a city of one million, and became the
official garbage-collection agency.  DCAM's experience is being
replicated in other cities throughout Benin and West Africa.

DCAM administrators are often called upon to act as consultants
to other agencies throughout Africa and in Europe.  Edou is
regarded as one of the region's foremost authorities on
environmental protection and waste management.

As a college student, Kauffman's first assignment in Benin was to
teach English to DCAM personnel, enabling them to read technical
journals.  However, her interest in environmental health and her
expertise in computer technology soon pushed her beyond the walls
of the classroom.  She was found out on the streets pulling
garbage carts and in offices developing data-entry programs for
the community bank.

The six weeks of her required service assignment passed all too
quickly for Kauffman and her friends at DCAM.  After her college
graduation, she set up her own short-term mission assignment with
DCAM through Mennonite Board of Missions and returned to Benin
for a year.

During this second period, Kauffman did an extensive community
survey for DCAM and was instrumental in the transfer of ownership
of the door-to-door collection aspect of garbage management from
DCAM to the workers themselves.  She coordinated a seminar that
helped to equip the teams of garbage collectors to manage their
own business.

Her final project was to help prepare a document and video
presenting DCAM's activities for a competition sponsored by the
United Nations and the Dubai Municipality in the United Arab
Emirates for "The Best Practices to Improve the Living
Environment."  One of the competition requirements was that
documents be written in English.  DCAM was among 40 finalists
given honorable mention out of a field of nearly 800 entries from
120 countries.

DCAM is competing in the Dubai-United Nations' contest again in
2002.  This time they hope to win first place with its prize of
$ 400,000 (U.S.).  Edou wrote to Kauffman and Mennonite Board of
Missions requesting Kauffman's assistance once again.

Although Kauffman had just completed a year in Germany with
Intermenno, a cultural exchange program, and had only a few weeks
before moving to Indianapolis for further studies, she jumped at
the chance to return to Benin.

During her whirlwind trip of 18 days, Edou and Kauffman visited
some of DCAM's projects in five locations throughout Benin.  They
wrote the competition document together in evenings and during
the lulls imposed by vehicle repairs.

Kauffman returned to her home in Goshen, Ind., on Christmas
evening.  The first week in January saw her installed in
Indianapolis beginning studies in nursing.  Kauffman began
college intending to be a nursing major, but later decided to
broaden her field of study to biology.

"It was the right choice," Kauffman said.  "As a nursing major, I
probably wouldn't have gone to Africa.  But now with the
experiences that I have had, I see it as a profession that will
allow me to be of use in the U.S. or internationally.  With this
career, I see an infinite number of doors opening."

Kauffman believes that short-term mission plays an important role
in the total mission picture.  "Short-term mission allows you to
see mission in progress," she said.  "You need a trial period to
see if you can handle the pressure and the lifestyle.
International mission is not for everyone.  I probably would not
have gone to Africa in the first place if I had had to make a
three-year commitment.  What if something goes wrong in the
beginning?  You're stuck.

"I can't say if my short-term mission experience is leading to a
long term commitment.  It certainly is a possibility down the road."

* * *

Lynda Hollinger-Janzen						PHOTOS AVAILABLE