From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

New believers redeem, restore church

From Beth Hawn <bethah@mbm.org>
Date Fri, 18 Jan 2002 14:26:35 -0500

Mennonite Board of Missions
<news@MBM.org>
January 16, 2002

New believers redeem, restore church, mission workers say

ELKHART, Ind. (MBM/COM) - For long-term mission workers Emma and
J. Mark Frederick, Mennonite Board of Missions/Commission on
Overseas Mission workers who have served a variety of assignments
in Mexico since 1966, their recent work in helping to plant
churches is about more than just giving birth to new congregations.

It's also about renewal for the entire body of believers.

"I would like people to know that new believers have a special
place in the mission of the church," J. Mark Frederick said.
"The discovery of God and who God is brings freshness to the
'religious' environment that renews it and redeems it from
stagnation. I would like people to know that their greatest
contribution to all congregations in formation is listening and
hearing the stories of freedom found in Christ, of struggles to
allow the new birth to find authentic expressions of faith and
faithfulness in concrete historical settings. That listening and
hearing nurtures and renews the young church. It also brings
renewal to those who listen and hear."

Most recently, the Fredericks have been involved in planting a
church on the southwestern edge of Mexico City.  J. Mark leads
discipleship and Bible classes and teaches at the Anabaptist
Theological Institute of Mexico.  He also prepares discipleship
materials and leads the advanced discipleship-training program in
the congregation.

Emma helps in social-ministry activities, which include arranging
monthly dental clinics, and overseeing English classes.  She also
disciples women who have made faith commitment, provides training
for teachers, writes curriculum materials, and makes visits in
the community.

Church planting is an opportunity to provide an alternative
community to other religious communities in the area that don't
stress the integration of all of life into the sacred, J. Mark
said.  For the Fredericks, whose home congregation is Salem
Mennonite Church in Quakertown, Pa., evangelism has meant
providing a variety of services that are essential to community life.

"For us church planting is a way of life, not a program of
evangelism," J. Mark said.

Emma Frederick said she has seen visible and dramatic results of
this holistic approach - for all concerned.

"I have seen women begin to break out of past destructive
patterns, take steps to change their way of relating to their
families, becoming free to be themselves," she said.  "I have
seen youth who had no idea they could work with children, get
excited about teaching and rejoicing in their newfound gift.  As
for me, God has been molding me and even though he is not
finished, I know I have a stronger faith.  These people have
challenged me with their openness to God and honesty before him."

Since 1994, the Fredericks have worked in Mexico City with CUMA
(United Committee of Anabaptist Missions).  CUMA terminated its
10-year project as of June 30, 2001, but the Fredericks continue
to join with a Mexican missionary couple in providing leadership
for the Pueblo en Transformacisn (People in Transformation)
congregation, which had its beginning in 1996.

"I have been involved in other aspects of church life, but my
main focus has been leadership training," J. Mark said.  "At this
point we will continue here in the congregation until September
2002.  By then we are hoping that others in the congregation will
be ready to take on leadership responsibilities."

* * *

Ann Graham Price							     PHOTO AVAILABLE