From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Q&A: Africa University carries on through challenges

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Fri, 18 Jan 2002 13:54:45 -0600

Jan. 18, 2002  News media contact: Tim Tanton7(615)742-54707Nashville, Tenn.
10-31-71BP{013}

NOTE: A photograph of Professor Rukudzo Murapa is available at
http://umns.umc.org/photos/headshots.html.

A UMNS Feature
By the Rev. Dean Snyder*

Africa University, a United Methodist-related school serving the African
continent, is preparing to celebrate its 10th anniversary in 2002. While
Africa University's mission is to serve all of Africa, it is located in
Zimbabwe, a nation experiencing political and economic distress as it
prepares for a controversial presidential election in March. In this edited
interview, Africa University's vice chancellor, Professor Rukudzo Murapa,
discusses the school's successes and the ramifications of the political
situation in Zimbabwe on the university. Murapa is Africa University's
highest official, the equivalent of a university president in the United
States. He was interviewed Jan. 14 in Columbia, Md., by the UMConnection,
the newspaper of the Baltimore-Washington Annual Conference of the United
Methodist Church.

Q: Given the political situation in Zimbabwe, how is Africa University
doing?

A: Africa University continues to exist in a very difficult environment,
politically, socially, and economically. Zimbabwe has indices which show
that it is experiencing 65 percent unemployment and over 100 percent
inflation, and we have elections coming up.

But, in spite of all these things, I think we have done fairly well, and
continue to do well, thanks to the support we have been getting from the
church community and from families and individuals, particularly in the
United States.

We have also been getting remarkable support from a number of foundations.
They are seeing Africa University as a beacon of hope. The Rockefeller
Foundation, the Ford Foundation, the Kellogg Foundation and others are
making increasing investments in Africa University, which they see as
providing hope in the midst of problems.

Africa University has been chosen by the Kellogg Foundation to provide
coordination of its support to universities within southern Africa. Africa
University, and myself as vice chancellor, have been asked to do an
assessment of Kellogg's efforts in 10 universities in southern Africa.

The Rockefeller Foundation continues to support our work in the area of
agriculture and also our new effort to build an Institute of Peace,
Leadership and Governance.

Just before I left home, I was on the phone with the Ford Foundation, which
has indicated that it will be giving us two new grants for institutional
support to allow us to continue to attract academics of high caliber. We
have been fortunate to receive increasing support, while other universities
are suffering.

Q: To what do you attribute this kind of support?

A: It is because of our status as an independent, private, church-supported
university. It is because we draw our students and staff from across the
continent. There is a multiplier effect at work through Africa University.
Support given to Africa University has direct impact outside Zimbabwe, as
well as within the country, because our students return to their homelands
when they graduate.

Q: In its beginnings, Africa University was primarily supported by church
funds. How long have you been receiving foundation support?

A: It happened in very modest ways, one student here, one lecturer there, in
the latter part of the 1990s, but significant interest has come only in the
last two years. The Kellogg Foundation, for example, became interested in
our efforts to support agriculture. We initiated a program to train
small-scale rural businessmen who support agriculture with fertilizers,
seeds and implements, and by training the young agriculturalists.

This is our view at Africa University: Yes, we may not agree with the
government's way of doing land redistribution, but there is a national
consensus that there is a need for land redistribution. The people who have
been settled in these small plots on these farms are people who literally
have nothing other than the clothes they have on their backs. They don't
have the know-how, they don't have the agricultural supports, they don't
have marketing facilities. We see them as a target group that we can provide
knowledge and skills to, a group we can train. We have developed programs on
agribusiness to support these new resettled farmers.

The truth is that we cannot wish them away. The reality is that they are now
there and they must be productive or otherwise the nation starves. So we
have designed these programs and gone to the foundations for support.

Q: What has happened to your support from the United Methodist Church during
the past 10 years? Is it stronger now than it was 10 years ago?

A: In term of quantity, it has remained very steady, but when you put that
over against the increasing number of students, new programs and the capital
development taking place, it is really falling behind the needs of a growing
university. When we go to the next General Conference in 2004, we hope to
make a case for increased support for Africa University. Clearly we cannot
exist now on the same level of support that we received in 1994 and 1995.

Q: Are you building any new buildings right now?

A: Yes. Thanks to the support we are receiving from USAID, we have begun a
building for our new Faculty of Health Sciences. Just last Monday, we
commissioned phase two of the Jokomo-Yamada Library, which will house our
information technology center for distance education as well as our computer
center. We are constructing a building for the Faculty of Theology that
should be completed by July thanks to the support of the South Carolina
Conference.

Q: What is the progress on opening the school of health sciences?

A: The board approved it last year, but it hasn't opened yet because the
financial support was not in place. We are now in the process of putting
together the curriculum. The Health and Welfare Division of the General
Board of Global Ministries is providing us with the help of Dr. Cherian
Thomas for at least a three-month period to help us finalize plans for
curriculum, staff and budget. If all goes well, we are hoping to start at
least two programs, one in nursing science and another in health science,
this next academic year.

Q: Are you eventually going to have a medical school?