From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Bulletin II

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date Fri, 18 Jan 2002 15:48:43 -0500 (EST)

Bulletin II

2002-014a

Bulletin II:

Episcopal Church expresses outrage over Israeli intrusion at school in Ramallah

     "When we learned from the diocesan office in Jerusalem that the Israeli
military had forced their way into the Arab Evangelical School in Ramallah early
this morning (January 18) we expressed our outrage to the State Department and
the religious liaison office in the White House," said the Rev. Brian Grieves,
director of the Episcopal Church's Office of Peace and Justice Ministries. "We
also shared the urgent call for prayer from the Diocese of Jerusalem
(http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens/2002-014.html) with government and church
leaders and will monitor the situation until the issue is resolved."

     Nancy Dinsmore in the development office for the Diocese of Jerusalem wrote
that the Israeli military "broke through the doors from the playground to the
school and forced their way" into the school which is supported by the diocese.
She reported that soldiers prevented the school's rector, the Rev. George Al
Kopti, and Sister Najah Rantisi from leaving the premises. "At any attempt to
leave, they have been threatened by the military, both verbally and with
weapons." She said that there are 19 children currently boarding at the
Evangelical Home adjacent to the school.