From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Archbishop of Canterbury hosts meeting of Muslim and Christian leaders

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2002 14:49:21 -0500 (EST)

2002-018

Archbishop of Canterbury hosts meeting of Muslim and Christian leaders

by James Solheim

     (ENS) Archbishop of Canterbury George L. Carey hosted a two-day seminar (www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/articles/28/25/acns2833.html) at
London's Lambeth Palace of 40 Muslim and Christian scholars from around the world
on the theme, "Building Bridges--Overcoming Obstacles in Christian-Muslim
Relations." The discussion focused on theological, historical and social issues,
as well as aspects of pluralism and secularism.

     Prime Minister Tony Blair opened the conference January 18 by warning
against the "perversion of religious faith" by extremists, calling for a
"globalization of knowledge and understanding" that would undermine the extremes
of all religions.

     Blair said that there was a tendency in all religions towards extremism but
it could be stopped with greater understanding. "It is knowledge that helps
people realize what they have in common, it's knowledge and understanding that
brings people together rather than sets them apart," he said.

     The Prime Minister said that he hoped the conference would go beyond
"dialogue between experts" and take root in communities where people of faith
don't always understand each other. "When warped or perverted, religious faith
can be dangerous. But when true to its real values it can be immensely
liberating," Blair said.

     Carey expressed a similar hope in overcoming obstacles among religions,
"trying to help our own faith communities overcome suspicion and hatred, and at
times hatred and intolerance. We all recognize our responsibilities as religious
leaders and scholars to help our communities live together in ways which do not
suppress our own identities but open us up to the riches which the other offers."

     Carey said that he is convinced there is a "fresh sense of urgency" to
counter those who find in their religion a justification for evil and hatred.
"There are many around us who believe that the world would be better off without
faith and all its apparent capacity to generate division, hatred and violence,"
he said. "We must play our part in trying to ensure that the wider world may reap
the best, not the worst, of what our faiths have to offer."

     Prince Hassan of Jordan called for the creation of an interfaith peace
corps, arguing that "culture and understanding is the key. We cannot continue to
have a situation where only after there is violence that we ask what is
happening."

Declaration signed in Alexandria

     In a related development, a dozen Christian, Jewish and Muslim leaders from
the Holy Land met in the Egyptian port city of Alexandria and signed an
unprecedented joint declaration committing themselves to work together for a just
and lasting peace.

     The seven-point First Alexandria Declaration of the Religious Leaders of the
Holy Land was approved January 21 at the landmark meeting, chaired by Carey. The
leaders said that they would use their moral authority in seeking an end to the
violence and resumption of the peace process. The declaration calls for formation
of a permanent committee of leaders from the three religions to pursue its
implementation.

     Noting that the Holy Land is holy to all three religions, Carey said, "We
have a shared duty therefore to do all we can to make it a land of peace and
harmony." The conference had the support of Prime Minister Ariel Sharon of Israel
and President Yasser Arafat of the Palestinian Authority.

     "Of course no declaration by religious leaders or anyone else can act as a
magic want, a panacea for all the ills and injustices, the savagery and
inhumanity that have scarred and continue to scar the Holy Land," Carey
cautioned. "We are not so nave. But it is our duty and our desire to do what we
can to bring forth good from evil, hope from despair."

     The Alexandria meeting was co-hosted by the Grand Imam of al-Azhar al-
Sharif, Mohamed Sayed Tantawy, the most senior Islamic leader in Egypt and one of
the most important leaders of Sunni Muslims worldwide.

     --James Solheim is director of Episcopal News Service.