From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Adventist Church Members to Donate for Ministry of Young Adults

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2002 15:28:14 -0800

Januar 20, 2002
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
http://www.stanet.ch/APD
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

Australia: Church Members to Donate Day's Wage to
Young Adults

Nunawading, Victoria, Australia. Seventh-day
Adventists in the state of Victoria will donate the money
they earn on February 8 this year to support the ministry
of the church's young adults.

"A day's wage is only 0.38 percent of a yearly wage, so
we'll also be encouraging our members to ask their work
colleagues for a matching donation," says Neil Thompson,
the church's young adult director for the region.

The aim of what Thompson calls "Strive" is to raise
$A395,000, including $A125,000 for an outreach and training
center for at-risk youth, $A120,000 for regional young adult
ministers, $A80,000 for a school and street ministry, and
$A20,000 for community service projects.

The catch phrase for the fundraiser is "Putting the 'You'
Back Into Youth Ministry."

"Our young adults want to serve God, and our local
churches need young adults who want to serve God," says
assistant director Steve Kane. "Strive will help bring the
two together."