From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Adventists Respond to Media Attack on Religious Minorities

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2002 15:21:01 -0800

Januar 20, 2002
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
http://www.stanet.ch/APD
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

Adventists Respond to Media Attack on Religious
Minorities

Baku, Azerbaijan.  A religious symposium was held in
Azerbaijan in December 2001 following a media attack
on some religious minorities, including the Seventh-day
Adventist Church. John Graz, director of public affairs
and religious liberty for the Adventist world church,
was invited to the event by the local Seventh-day
Adventist Church.

In his speech to the delegation he underlined religious
freedom as being a major answer to religious fanaticism.

"Beyond our differences," said Graz, "we have to build a
better world for all. A world where everyone will be
free to choose their beliefs according to the dictates
of their conscience: a world where our children and
grandchildren won't be persecuted, discriminated against,
or harmed because of their religion, color, or gender."

During his four-day visit, Graz met with diplomats,
government officials, and human rights leaders and was
appraised with the current religious situation in the
country.

Victor Krushenitsky, secretary-general of the
International Religious Liverty Association (IRLA) for
the former Soviet Union countries, gave information about
the Adventist Church in Russia and its long presence in
Azerbaijan on TV channel ANS, which played a major role
in the media campaign against religious minorities.

Graz explained that Azerbaijan is a secularized society
with a Muslim heritage and its people have demonstrated
tolerance throughout their history. "For the moment,
problems which motivated our visit should find a
solution in constructive dialogue between religious
minorities, the government, and the media," Graz said.

Azerbaijan has recently attracted the attention of
religious freedom associations with its new registration
of religious groups and churches. Azerbaijan is an
independent republic which had been part of the former
Soviet Union. Mainly Muslim, the new country has been
in conflict with Christian Armenia for several years.