From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Hosts Consultation on Faith and Science

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Fri, 1 Feb 2002 15:08:54 -0600

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

February 1, 2002

ELCA HOSTS CONSULTATION ON FAITH AND SCIENCE
02-020-FI

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
(ELCA) is becoming more involved in ethical discussions involving
science and technology, said Dr. Grace Wolf-Chase, research astronomer,
Adler Planetarium and Astronomy Museum, and research scientist,
University of Chicago.  "Being 'science literate' enhances the
credibility of the church," said Wolf-Chase, a member of St. James
Lutheran Church, Naperville, Ill.
     The ELCA brought Wolf-Chase and about 20 others together for a
consultation on faith and science here Jan. 25-26.  They represented
several scientific fields -- artificial intelligence, astronomy,
biochemistry, biology, chemistry, computers, electromagnetic radiation,
environment, eye research, genetics, geophysics, meteorology,
microbiology, nanotechnology, neuropsychology, physics, primatology,
psychology and sociology.
     The purpose of the consultation was to foster "a dialogue rooted
in their experiences as scientists and focused on the trends, issues,
dilemmas that they believe confront them and the church in an age so
profoundly influenced by science and technology," said Sally A. Simmel,
director for daily life ministry, ELCA Division for Ministry.  The
gathering was also to "elicit strategic input that will advise the wider
church," she said.
     "This was an amazing gathering of faithful people working in a
variety of sciences and technologies," said Simmel.  "While diverse in
their disciplines, they identified some common themes for the church's
engagement in issues and trends: education, communication, dialogue,
ethics, environment, and ecumenical and interfaith relationships," she
said.
     The ELCA South Carolina Synod helped inspire the consultation.
The synod's assembly passed a resolution calling on the ELCA to
"initiate, encourage and support discussion on the role of science
within the church's mission in the areas of education (both secular and
religious), application of technology and more obligations of
scientists, engineers and technicians."
     Three ELCA divisions sponsored the gathering -- the Division for
Church in Society, Division for Higher Education and Schools, and
Division for Ministry -- in coordination with the ELCA's Alliance for
Faith, Science and Technology.  The alliance is a group of clergy and
lay people interested in "assisting the ELCA carry out its mission at
the intersection of faith and science."
     "Your consultation this weekend is one important step in the
implementation of this church's resolve to bridge what has too often
been perceived as a vast chasm between science and faith," said the Rev.
Mark S. Hanson, ELCA presiding bishop, in written greetings to the
gathering.
     "I am often asked by reporters to address from the perspective of
the church issues such as cloning, global warming and bio-terrorism,"
said Hanson.  "As a parish pastor of a university congregation, I was
struck by how often students would ask whether they could belong to a
community of faith without setting aside their knowledge as a physicist,
geologist or biochemist.  How rich were our discussions on cosmology,
ethics, healing and scripture because of their probing minds," he said.
     Many participants expressed the need for the ELCA's clergy and
laity to learn more about current scientific and technological trends.
Some looked to the church for help in talking about their faith with
other scientists.
     "The loudest voices in science" tend to present it from an
atheistic viewpoint, said Wolf-Chase, and the country's most prominent
Christians portray science as the enemy.  Scientists who have no problem
practicing their vocations and their faith are rarely heard, she said.
     "We tend to think of science, of the universe, of nature as an
expression of the personality of God.  One way of approaching God is to
become better acquainted with that personality.  Science is one
expression of that," said Wolf-Chase.  Scientific research is "an aspect
of reality, and it's an aspect of human curiosity," she added.
     Through a series of plenary and small group discussions,
participants shared their opinions and experiences regarding science,
technology and faith.  A dozen churchwide staff and other observers took
notes.
     "I found myself greatly encouraged by the wonderful gifts and
insights of the scientists who were present and by their obvious
commitment to bring their gifts and insights to the church's
conversation and mission," said the Rev. Marcus C. Lohrmann, bishop of
the ELCA's Northwestern Ohio Synod, Findlay.
     "Many within the church have been suspicious of science and
scientists, perhaps feeling that the work of the scientist erodes faith
commitment.  Many scientists have not always felt welcomed in the church
and have not been given opportunity to utilize their insights within the
Christian community," he said.
     "I hope that on the local, national and global levels we will do a
much better job of engaging in dialogue so that our faith, our daily
work and our participation in God's mission to the world will be
enriched," said Lohrmann.
     "This is perhaps the most important conversation going on in the
church," said the Rev. Joseph M. Wagner, executive director of the ELCA
Division for Ministry.  "It links the key content of the faith with the
people who articulate the key nature of the culture."
     Peter S.J. McKinney, systems administrator, Engineering Systems,
Steelcase, Inc., Grand Rapids, Mich., said he appreciated the
opportunity to meet other Lutherans with similar interests.  "We are
getting to a better understanding in the church about the faith and
sciences.  My hope for the future is that we continue to have
consultations on this subject and that the church continues to keep this
topic a priority," he said.  McKinney is a member of Ascension Lutheran
Church, Kentwood, Mich.
     Participants referred many times to a global consultation, "The
New Scientific-technological World: What Difference Does it Make for the
Churches," sponsored with the Lutheran World Federation (LWF) in
November 1987 on Cyprus.  Some recommended another consultation on that
scale.  The ELCA is one of the 133 member churches of the LWF, which
represents more than 60.5 million of the world's 64.3 million Lutherans.

For information contact: