From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutherans in Argentina Call on Their North American Companion

From News News <news@ELCA.ORG>
Date Sat, 2 Feb 2002 10:39:56 -0600

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

February 1, 2002

LUTHERANS IN ARGENTINA CALL ON THEIR NORTH AMERICAN COMPANION
02-022-MR

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Members of Iglesia Evangelica Luterana Unida
(United Evangelical Lutheran Church) (IELU), Buenos Aires, Argentina,
are calling on the 5.13 million-member Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America (ELCA) to accompany them as they face "a disaster situation not
caused by natural catastrophe" but by "a catastrophe of an economic
nature and politics."
     In a Jan. 14 letter to the Rev. Mark S. Hanson, ELCA presiding
bishop, and other ELCA leaders, Roberto O. Stein, IELU executive
secretary, wrote that Argentina has "sunk in a deep recession that
destroyed the middle class and made poorer those who were already poor."
He said the recession "gave place to a political and social uncertainty
of such a magnitude that the country faces the danger of a civil war."
     "In only two weeks five presidents were in office," Stein said.
Argentina's current president, Eduardo Duhalde, is the fifth after
Fernando de la Rua's resignation on Dec. 21.
     Part of Argentina's current economic crisis is a result of a
"process of deterioration related with the insertion of Argentina into
the globalized world," Stein said.  The country's crisis presents a
"major challenge" for the IELU "institutionally and pastorally."
     The IELU cannot honor its present financial obligations, Stein
said, because it cannot collect funds in "the short term."  Most of the
IELU's missions and new congregations consist of families with "very low
resources" that, in the present economic situation, have diminished or
lost revenues, he said.
     The 7,000-member IELU includes 26 pastors and 29 congregations
grouped into four districts -- North, River Plate, South and West.
     Stein began his letter by citing sections of the ELCA's social
statement on economic life, "Sufficient, Sustainable Livelihood for
All," adopted in 1999.
     In particular, Stein quoted: "'Human beings are responsible and
accountable for economic life, but people often feel powerless in the
face of what occurs.  Market-based thought and practices dominate our
world today in ways that seem to eclipse other economic, social,
political and religious perspectives.'" He said, "All that you had
stated there is a reality for us now."
     Stein pointed out that economic life "is intended to be a means
through which God's purpose for humankind and creation are to be
served."  When this does not happen, "as a church we cannot remain
silent because of who we are," he said.
     As members of a "communion" of churches representing the North and
South, "those who are rich and those who are poor are called into a
relationship of generosity" from which each can benefit, Stein wrote.
"Within the church, those in need and those with abundance are brought
together in Christ."
Christian concern for the people of Argentina including our companions
in the United Evangelical Lutheran Church.  Out of their suffering,
Argentinian Lutherans have rightly called us to self-examination and
faithfulness to the vision expressed in the ELCA's statement on economic
life."
     As North Americans living "on the benefit side of economic
globalization, we know we must not only share generously from our
abundance but we must also ask deep questions about the causes of
disasters, such as the recent one in Argentina.  We pray for the
transformation of ourselves and of the crisis that has plunged Argentina
into chaos and uncertainty.  When even one member of Christ's body
suffers, we all suffer together," Hanson said in a Jan. 30 letter to
Stein.
     The ELCA International Disaster Response fund provided $20,000 in
January to support an IELU food program that serves children.  An
additional $15,000 will be sent by the ELCA next month to support an
IELU soup kitchen and clothing pantry for women.  International Disaster
Response is coordinated through the ELCA Division for Global Mission
here.
     In a Dec. 21 letter Stein, IELU Presiding Bishop Angel Furlan and
other church leaders from across Argentina, called on "agencies and
Christian institutions in the North" to build up economic international
relationships, alleviate the burden of international debt and "implement
concrete signs of solidarity with those who are suffering."

For information contact: