From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Archbishop of Canterbury issues Holocaust Day statement

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Sat, 02 Feb 2002 15:21:48 -0800

ACNS 2847 - LAMBETH PALACE - 31 January 2002

Archbishop of Canterbury Holocaust Day Statement

The Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr George Carey, has issued a statement to
mark National Holocaust Memorial Day. Dr Carey stressed the need for
continued reflection on humanity's potential for evil and commitment to the
search for hope.

"At a time when the human capacity for evil haunts too much of our broken
world, it is vital that we continue to learn the lessons of the past in the
service of the future. Holocaust Memorial Day is an important part of our
shared learning.

"The Nazi Holocaust remains a stark and terrible warning of the depths to
which humankind can descend. Other genocides remind us that we should take
nothing for granted about the permanence of our ascent from those depths.

"Today is an important opportunity to reinforce our shared commitment to
work for a world of dignity and respect for all - regardless of colour, race
or creed; a commitment to bring forth from the dark places of history, the
wonderful light of hope."