From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Archbishop of Canterbury statement to Faith leaders

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Sat, 02 Feb 2002 15:26:11 -0800

ACNS 2846 - LAMBETH PALACE - 31 January 2002

Archbishop's statement from Assisi

It is with great joy that I greet leaders of faith communities gathered in
Assisi at the invitation of His Holiness John Paul II. I am very sad that I
cannot be with you particularly as religious leaders have a major
contribution to make towards to peace and reconciliation in our increasingly
unstable and dangerous world.

In the last months we have learnt again how great is our need of each other.
We have experienced violence, warfare and hatred, and we have seen how the
wrongs of one generation can be re-enacted in their children and their
grandchildren. We need God's grace to reach out with a generosity that is
more than human, and to release ourselves and our neighbours from the
shackles of the past. This is not a quick or a painless path. Where people
have learned to be hostile and suspicious it will take much to build
friendship and trust. Jesus Christ, the inspiring leader of all Christians,
taught us that those who mourn are blessed, for they shall be comforted. He
taught that those who are merciful are blessed, for mercy shall be shown to
them, and that those who make peace are blessed, for they shall be called
the children of God. We are called to persevere in hope, and not to lose
heart.

Religious bodies, and we as religious leaders, have a most sensitive and
difficult task to undertake. In spite of our imperfections, we witness to
the goodness of God. We seek to speak words of truth, of love and of
forgiveness, holding fast to that which is good. We recognise that our
traditions can be misused to set people apart, rather than bringing them
together. At times we have sometimes defined ourselves by what divides us,
rather than what we share. We acknowledge that we have misunderstood and
hurt one another, so we must build our peace on our need to accept
forgiveness as well as to offer it.

However, our concerns must be practical as well as prayerful and prophetic.
We cannot proclaim liberty to captives without also releasing those who are
poor from crippling debt. If we are to live in harmony with our neighbours,
that means that we must feed those who are hungry, and give medical care to
those who are ill. If we know ourselves to be members of one human family we
must share the good things that some of us have with the many who do not
have them. We must do these things in a way that honours all people,
respecting their human dignity, and enabling them to participate in the
economic and political life of the world.

Brothers and sisters, even though I am not with you your meeting will be
very much in my thoughts and prayers. This day is a new stage in our
journey, a sign of our commitment to one another, and to God who leads us
forward together.

The ACNSlist is published by the Anglican Communion Office, London.

Please send QUESTIONS or COMMENTS to acnslist@anglicancommunion.org