From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Anglican Bishop sees Methodist unity by end of decade

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Sat, 02 Feb 2002 15:30:06 -0800

ACNS 2851 - ENGLAND - 2 February 2002

Methodist unity 'by end of decade'

[The Three Crowns (Diocesan News from Bristol to Swindon)] The Anglican
Bishop of Bristol has been at the forefront of leading the Church of England
to the brink of an historic pact with the Methodist Church.

Last month the two Churches published a covenant that could lead to unity
within a decade.

They spoke of common ground rediscovered, affirmed the validity of both
Churches doctrines and committed themselves to overcoming obstacles to the
"full visible unity of Christs Church" for the first time since the
Methodists broke away more than 250 years ago.

We now wait to see whether General Synod and the Methodist Conference
consent to the covenant this year. If they do, there could be unity by the
end of the decade.

The three-year formal conversations were co-chaired by Bishop Barry
Rogerson, Bishop of Bristol, and the Revd John Taylor, Chairman of the
Liverpool Methodist District. Bishop Rogerson said, "This is a significant
step forward and continues a process that could well change the face of
English Christianity - which would be in obedience with Gods gift and
calling."

Mr Taylor described the covenant as "no big deal" on one level. "We have
recognised each other as true Christians at grassroots level for years," he
said. "But in terms of our national Churches, the report takes a major and
significant step that will make wider things possible. I would love to see
the unity of our Churches tomorrow. We can no longer afford the luxury of
separate communities."

Stumbling blocks still to be negotiated include the Anglicans role as the
established Church; the absence of female bishops in the Anglican Church,
while the Methodists insist that all appointments must be open to all; and
Communion protocol, in which the use of alcoholic wine is just one issue.

The goodwill shown all round at last months launch was palpable, but those
with long memories of past setbacks know that it is not all over yet.