From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: CHURCH PLANTING AGREEMENT SIGNED

From RICH.SCHRAMM@ecunet.org
Date Fri, 8 Feb 2002 10:50:35 -0500 (EST)

AMERICAN BAPTIST NEWS SERVICE
Office of Communication
American Baptist Churches USA
P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851
Phone: (610)768-2077 / Fax: (610)768-2320
Web: www.abc-usa.org
Richard W. Schramm, Director
 E-mail: richard.schramm@abc-usa.org

CHURCH PLANTING AGREEMENT SIGNED
BY AMERICAN BAPTISTS AND COOPERATIVE BAPTISTS
by Fran Homer, National Ministries, American Baptist Churches
USA
 In a covenantal agreement the American Baptist
New Church Planting Vision Community and the
Cooperative Baptist Fellowship have adopted guidelines for
starting new churches cooperatively when a local faith
community chooses to be related to both mission
organizations.
 "New church planting is a mandate from God and
bigger than any fellowship or denomination," said Ken
Giacoletto, chair of the New Church Planting Vision
Community. "This covenant with our brothers and sisters
in the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship recognizes our
common goal that individual lives will be touched and
changed as a result of these new communities of Christ."
 Gary Baldridge, who is co-cordinator with his wife,
Barbara, of Global Missions for the Cooperative Baptist
Fellowship, said he is looking forward to what can be
accomplished through the church planting partnership.
"We find that we have much in common," he noted.  "In
those areas of the country where American Baptist and
Cooperative Baptist efforts overlap we will be able to work
together in aggressively pursuing church planting."
 Under the covenant the two organizations will
collaborate with region staff to support a planter and
members of the new church plant as they move from the
beginning stages to an established congregation.
Throughout this process the new church plant will be a
cooperating member of both the Cooperative Baptist
Fellowship and American Baptist Churches USA, sharing
mission giving to both.
 "This is ecumenical cooperation at its best," said
Phil Hester, CBF associate coordinator for church starts.
The common denominator of American Baptists and the
Fellowship is sharing the gospel, he emphasized, and "our
common heritage, love and commitment to Christ and to
reaching the unchurched in this country, the third largest
mission field on earth."
 The Rev. Michael Cox, National Ministries' director
of New Church Planting, credits Giacoletto's leadership
with helping to transform the former American Baptist
New Church Planting Council from a regulating body into a
vision community, looking to bring about new life in the
denomination and country. Working toward the American
Baptist NEW LIFE 2010 goal of planting 1,010 new
churches, Giacoletto said, the Vision Community realized
that church planting methods of the past are not going to
work in the 21st century.
 Cox strongly agrees: "As we look at the future of
church planting and the whole future of the church we
need to recognize that the post-modern world is not
divided into neat little compartments.  We need to face
this new world with new partners, new shared resources,
new learnings and new responses to the need in the
United States and Puerto Rico."

W020802B.TXT

 -0-