From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutheran Benefits Society Proposes a New Name - Thrivent

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2002 16:35:08 -0600

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

February 12, 2002

LUTHERAN BENEFITS SOCIETY PROPOSES A NEW NAME - THRIVENT
02-028-FI

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- In June 2001, two faith-based providers of
insurance and financial services -- Aid Association for Lutherans (AAL),
based in Appleton, Wis., and Lutheran Brotherhood (LB), based in
Minneapolis -- announced plans to merge.  In September the AAL board of
directors and LB general convention approved the merger that went into
effect Jan. 1, 2002.  The combined membership now has a new name to
consider -- "Thrivent Financial for Lutherans."
     Aid Association for Lutherans/Lutheran Brotherhood (AAL/LB), as
the organization is now known, will send information and ballots to its
members.  Ratification and the necessary regulatory approvals are
expected to be in place so the new name can be used about mid-2002.
     "Proposing 'Thrivent Financial for Lutherans' as the new name for
the fraternal organization is an important step in strengthening the
work of Lutheran fraternals, while continuing to recognize historic ties
to the Lutheran community," said the Rev. Mark S. Hanson, presiding
bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
     The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America looks forward to
continuing our collegial work with Thrivent Financial for Lutherans
through our distinctive roles as, together, we build the church and
strengthen communities", Hanson said.
     "The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America looks forward to
continuing our collegial work through our distinctive roles as,
together, we build the church and strengthen communities," Hanson said.
     AAL/LB is the largest fraternal benefits society in the United
States, with $58.6 billion in assets, 3 million members and more than
4,000 employees and field force members.  In 2001, AAL and LB and their
branches contributed more than $250 million in charitable outreach, and
volunteers contributed nearly 20 million hours of service to their
communities and Lutheran congregations.
     AAL had 10,451 U.S. branches and more than $92 billion in life
insurance.  LB brought with it 1,055 branches and more than $50 billion
in life insurance.
     Separately, AAL and LB frequented the bottom of the Fortune 500
list.  AAL/LB debuted in the middle of the list.
     The merged organization's corporate center is based in
Minneapolis, with operations remaining in Appleton.  AAL/LB chairman of
the board is John Gilbert, former chairman, president and CEO of AAL.
Bruce Nicholson, AAL/LB president and CEO, held the same title in the
former LB.
     "The name 'Thrivent Financial for Lutherans' makes a bold
statement about our approach to prudent financial planning and community
outreach," said Nicholson.  "The new name reinforces our commitment to
helping Lutherans reach financial goals and participate in charitable
giving and volunteering on behalf of the Lutheran community. In short,
the name says 'we care about helping Lutherans, and the entire Lutheran
community, thrive.'"
     "We want an identity that positions us for the future while
reflecting our heritage of serving Lutherans," said Gilbert.  "Our
longstanding and continuing commitment to the Lutheran community is
reinforced in both the name and tagline, 'A Century of Serving the
Lutheran Community.'"
     A new corporate symbol accompanies the proposed name.  The
"Thrivent" heart "represents caring for, and unity with, the Lutheran
community.  The gold color suggests high-quality products and services,
while the red accent symbolizes warmth and energy," according to an
AAL/LB news release.
-- -- --
     Information about the AAL/LB merger is maintained at both
http://www.aal.org/ -- the AAL Web site -- and http://www.luthbro.com/ -
- the LB Web site.
     Specific information about the new name and symbol is available at
http://www1.aal.org/aal-lb/announcement/ on the Web.

For information contact: