From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

LCMS President Gerald Kieschnick Visits European Partner Churches

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2002 09:14:22 -0800

The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod
Board for Communication Services

LCMSNews -- No. 9
February 14, 2002

Kieschnick says meetings
give him new appreciation'

Missouri Synod President Gerald Kieschnick says that meetings last month
with leaders of the Synod's eight partner churches in Europe have given him
a new appreciation for the complexities of church relations and a greater
understanding of the challenges those churches face.

"This was a great opportunity to meet these leaders on their turf, which
gave me a greater understanding of life in their churches and countries,"
Kieschnick said.

Kieschnick and Dr. Samuel H. Nafzger, executive director of the Synod's
Commission on Theology and Church Relations, spent 17 days on the
relationship-building trip last month.  A meeting in Germany of the
International Lutheran Council (ILC) executive committee that involved the
two provided them the opportunity to take additional time in Europe to
visit the partner-church leaders.

Kieschnick said that the visits "impressed upon me once again how important
it is to keep lines of communication open."  He said he supports more
regularized ways of keeping in touch.

"All of our churches need the nurture and support of one another as we seek
to remain faithful to Scripture and the Lutheran Confessions while at the
same time proclaiming the precious Gospel of Jesus Christ, the Savior of
the world."

Among churches that he said need the Missouri Synod's support are "small
churches that live in the shadow of state churches."  Kieschnick said that
when the small "free churches" take exception to state-church ordinations
of women and homosexuals, for example, "they take a hammering in the
media.  Their need for our moral support and encouragement is significant."

The LCMS president said he also saw how  a Missouri Synod declaration of
fellowship with one church can affect another partner church.

He cited as an example the 1998 declaration of fellowship with the
Evangelical Lutheran Church of Ingria in Russia, which is a member of the
Lutheran World Federation and is in fellowship with the state church of
Finland.  As a result of that declaration, The Confessional Lutheran Church
of Finland, a long-time LCMS partner, voted to suspend fellowship with the
Missouri Synod.

There was no prior discussion before the Finns suspended fellowship with
the Missouri Synod, Kieschnick said.  His visit with leaders of the small
free church in Finland was the first formal discussion with them since it
suspended fellowship in 1999.

"This meant for me that we need to be even more careful in the future than
we have been in the past when we begin discussions that could lead to
church fellowship," Kieschnick said.

In an official joint statement, Kieschnick and Ingrian Bishop Arri Kugappi
took note of the "importance" of the relationship between the two church
bodies.

"Because the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Ingria is the only church in
Russia with whom The Lutheran Church_Missouri Synod is in altar and pulpit
fellowship, both sides recognize the special importance of this
relationship for both the ELCI and the LCMS within the realm of inter
church relationships," the statement says.

The Missouri Synod's European partner churches are in Germany, France and
Belgium, England, Russia, Latvia, Lithuania, Finland and Denmark.