From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutherans Respond to Terrorism, Tornadoes, Tropical Storms

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Fri, 15 Feb 2002 09:03:48 -0600

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

February 15, 2002

LUTHERANS RESPOND TO TERRORISM, TORNADOES, TROPICAL STORMS
02-31-MR

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Lutheran Disaster Response (LDR), a ministry
of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) and Lutheran
Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS), continues to help survivors recover
from acts of terrorism, tornadoes, tropical storms and other
disasters across the United States.
     Response to a disaster is often carried out by a local team
providing emergency supplies, offering pastoral care and counseling,
coordinating volunteer efforts in relief and rebuilding, and
providing grants to victims. This response is coordinated with other
interfaith and community efforts.
     "The terrorist attacks of Sept. 11 have had a dramatic effect
on the entire world.  Entire paradigms of life have shifted into new
and unknown patterns.  The events of that day also challenge the
ministries of Lutheran Disaster Response," said the Rev. Gilbert B.
Furst, LDR director.
     "So many of the natural disaster response norms do not apply
specifically in this human-caused disaster," Furst said about the
events of Sept. 11.  "The scope of the response is also
unprecedented. Seven of the ELCA's [65] synods and five [of the 35]
LCMS districts have been directly impacted; nine social ministry
organizations are directly part of the response," he said.
     Furst said funds continue to be collected from members of the
ELCA and LCMS to support recovery efforts in New York, New Jersey and
Washington, D.C.  "At last count, nearly $8 million has been
collected.  Aid Association for Lutherans/Lutheran Brotherhood, a
fraternal benefit society, has provided an estimated $10.7 million
toward a coordinated Lutheran response."
     In December, "I sent one check for $1.75 million to support the
next three- to six-months' ministries in the New York City area.  Not
only was this the largest Lutheran Disaster Response grant ever, but
it was larger than most totals for a full year of disaster response,"
he said.
     Furst visited New York and New Jersey in January.  "About 40
people a day are calling one of our responding agencies -- Lutheran
Social Services of Metropolitan New York -- for assistance.  These are
individuals who lost jobs in the World Trade Center and individuals
with immigration or refugee difficulties, for example," he said.
"Scholarship support is being carefully provided for students in our
Lutheran schools there."
     "The counseling load continues to be enormous.  Caseworkers are
assisting people who lost loved ones to access the many funds
specifically available for them   funds often obscured by red tape,"
Furst said.
     Response efforts in New Jersey are different, Furst said.
"Many of the deaths in New York were people who commuted from New
Jersey."  LDR consultants will meet with people there to "help them
make some theological sense out of their changed and sorrow-filled
lives."
     In Houston, LDR staff and volunteers continue to provide relief
to survivors of Tropical Storm Allison.  In June 2001 the storm
struck an area from Texas to Florida, killing 43 people, 16 in
Houston.  Rain totaling 36 inches fell in Houston and 19 inches in
Baton Rouge, La.
     In January, Furst traveled to Houston and met with LDR
coordinators.  Staff of "Lutheran Social Services of the South is
managing relief efforts in Houston on behalf of Lutheran Disaster
Response," he said.
     Disaster response volunteers are being housed at Our Redeemer
Lutheran Church, Grand Prairie, Texas, Furst said.  The congregation
had 53 of its 200 families suffer flood damage in their homes; 10
families lost everything, he reported.
     In Siren, Wis., LDR staff and volunteers anticipate a long-term
recovery after a tornado struck the town June 21.  Furst said the
tornado "damaged or destroyed about 120 homes in the town of 900
residents."  Staff of Lutheran Social Services of Wisconsin is
managing recovery efforts on behalf of LDR.
     LDR recovery work continues in:
+ The Delta area of Mississippi, where tornadoes killed 12 people and
destroyed homes February 2001.  Lutheran Social Ministries of
Mississippi is managing LDR recovery efforts in the area along with
the local Episcopal Diocese.
+ Hoisington, Kan., where a tornado killed one person and injured 28
others April 21.  More than 180 homes were destroyed, more than 50
others sustained major damage that is not repairable, and 400 homes
had minor damage.
+ West Virginia and southern Virginia, where a series of storms
produced flood waters in July.  More than 490 homes were destroyed
and 1,543 sustained major damage.  More than 4,670 homes were damaged
by water, mud or are inaccessible because of streets impacted with
mud and debris.
     "As we continue with our present challenges and as we head into
the unknown challenges of this new year, I am confident that you --
God's people -- will continue to work together in response to
disasters, bringing help and hope in the name of Jesus Christ," Furst
said.
---
DOMESTIC DISASTERS:

Editors: When listing organizations receiving funds for aid to survivors of
major disasters inside the United States, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin
Islands, please include:

ELCA Domestic Disaster Response
P.O. Box 71764
Chicago, IL  60694-1764