From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

New Reconciliation Leader Called

From "Communication Ministries" <wshuffit@cm.disciples.org>
Date Fri, 15 Feb 2002 15:33:57 -0500

Date: February 15, 2002
Disciples News Service
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Contact: Curt Miller
E-mail: cmiller@cm.disciples.org
on the Web: http://www.disciples.org

02a-13

	INDIANAPOLIS (DNS) -- The Rev. T. Eugene Fisher, Sr., has
been called as Minister of Reconciliation for the Christian
Church (Disciples of Christ).  He will give staff
leadership to all aspects of the church's Reconciliation
Mission, including ongoing anti-racism/pro-reconciliation
training.

	"I am committed to this ministry, as well as the struggles
that will go along with becoming an
anti-racist/pro-reconciling church," said Fisher. "I have
spent much of my life building bridges.  A bridge is only
as viable as its anchors."  His work, he says,  will be "to
shore up the anchors that we might build strong bridges
that will stand up to the struggles that are still ahead."

	Fisher will work closely with the Reconciliation
Committee, which makes decisions on the allocation of the
church's Reconciliation offering.  He will also give
leadership to the new Anti-Racism Commission, a body that
will guide Disciples anti-racist/pro-reconciling
ministries.  Fisher says the nine members of the commission
will be identified in time for General Board to consider
electing them this summer.

	The new Minister of Reconciliation says that Christians
are not called "to tolerate, but to love. True
reconciliation is not a mental exercise. It is a process of
opening hearts that we might open minds that we might open
doors," Fisher said.

	The Rev. Jessica Vasquez remains a part of the
Reconciliation Mission team as training coordinator.

	Fisher was called as interim administrative director of
the Reconciliation in March 2001. He served as senior
pastor of Centennial Christian Church, St. Louis, Mo.;
pastor of Faith United Christian Church, Canton, Ohio;
administrator of Light of the World Christian Church,
Indianapolis, Ind.; and as youth pastor of Oasis of Hope
Baptist Church, Indianapolis, Ind.

	Fisher earned a master of divinity degree from Christian
Theological Seminary in 1990.  He received a bachelor of
science in business administration from Franklin
University, Columbus, Ohio.

                                    	-- end --