From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Desmond Tutu says racism is the ultimate blasphemy

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Fri, 15 Feb 2002 16:19:40 -0500 (EST)

February 15, 2002

2002-042

Episcopalians: Desmond Tutu says racism is the ultimate
blasphemy

by Tracy Sukraw

(ENS) Healing can happen when you give truth-telling a chance.
That was the good news that Desmond Tutu, the retired archbishop
of Cape Town in South  Africa, brought to the Episcopal Divinity
School (EDS) in Cambridge, Massachusetts.  The hard news:  You
have to give it a chance.

The guest lecturer during the school's annual Absalom Jones
celebration on February 6, Tutu reflected on his experiences of
apartheid in South Africa and the healing power of storytelling
that he witnessed as head of his countrys Truth and
Reconciliation Commission.  He applied those lessons to the
issue of racism in this country and conflicts around the world.
His conclusion:  Without forgiveness there is no future.

EDSs St. Johns Memorial Chapel was filled to capacity for
the lecture, with an overflow crowd listening in via closed
circuit from next-door Sherrill Hall.

Tutu described how the racism of the apartheid system in
South Africa affected perpetrators, bystanders and victims
alike.  Because of his fathers position as headmaster of a
black elementary school, Tutu grew up protected from the worst
excesses of racial discrimination.  But, he said, he was both
wounded and conditioned good and proper by it nonetheless.

A prophetic voice

"It was the kind of treatment Absalom Jones and Richard Allen
[Joness compatriot] rejected when they walked out of St.
Georges Methodist Episcopal Church in Philadelphia on the
occasion when the ushers directed them to the balcony where
black worshippers were herded together," he said.

Absalom Jones was a former slave who in 1802 became the first
African-American priest in the Episcopal Church.  The annual
celebration at EDS supports an Absalom Jones Scholarship Fund
for African-American students at EDS preparing for ordination in
the Episcopal Church.

We couldnt have found a better speaker than Tutu to
provide teaching on racial reconciliation, Bishop Steven
Charleston, president and dean of EDS, said in his opening
remarks.  He introduced the archbishop as someone whose voice
remains prophetic today not only in areas of racial
reconciliation and peace and justice but also in areas of
economic dignity for all human beings and the salvation of our
planet.

Racism is the ultimate blasphemy, Tutu said, because it
"could make a child of God doubt that she or he was a child of
God.

"Racism is never benign and conventional and acceptable, for
it is racism that resulted in the awfulness of lynchings and the
excesses of slavery; it spawned the Holocaust and apartheid and
was responsible for ethnic cleansing," he said.

"People of faith cannot be neutral on this issue.  To stand
on the sidelines is to be disobedient to the God who said we are
created, all of us, in this God's image."

The power of storytelling

Former South African president Nelson Mandela appointed Tutu
in 1995 to lead the Truth and Reconciliation Commission
investigating human rights violations that took place from 1960
to 1994.  Tutu told of how the commission exposed the depths to
which we humans can sink by inviting black and white people
alike to tell their stories--heart-wrenching, burdensome tales
of cruelty and torture, violence, tragedy and sorrow.

Telling their stories did mean you were running the risk of
opening wounds, but in fact often they were wounds that had been
festering and to open them now in this fashion had the chance of
cleansing them and pouring a balm, an ointment on them, he
said.

"I don't know why we should have been surprised at the
healing potency of story telling.  After all, as people of faith
we belong in a story-telling community.  We have been integrated
into the community that tells the story of a God who brought a
rabble of slaves out of bondage and led them through the desert
into the Promised Land, and they commemorated it all in a feast,
a festival, the Passover.  We continued the saga in the story of
a young man who died on a cross and on the night before he died
established a meal as a memorial and we have been telling this
story and its sequel ever since," he said.

The courage to listen

One of the evenings most stirring moments came when Tutu
deviated from his text and challenged his rapt audience to take
the lessons of truth and reconciliation to heart here at home in
America.  Saying he knew full well what it was like to have
instant experts from overseas pontificating on how we should
solve our problems, he went on to wonder what wounds might be
healed if the United States had a Truth and Reconciliation
Commission of its own.

You are going to become a very strong and wonderful country
the day you have the courage to listen to each other, he said.

If Tutu brought challenge, he also brought hope, delivering
his lecture with the joyfulness of a bearer of good news.  If
it could happen that enemies became allies, friends, partners in
South Africa, then it could happen in other conflict-ridden
places, he said.  God wants to point to us and say, 'Yes, they
are a beacon of hopethey had a nightmare called apartheid and
it has ended.  Your nightmare, Northern Ireland, Middle East,
Rwanda, Afghanistan, Burma, Angola and Sri Lanka, your nightmare
will end too.  ...Nowhere can they ever again say, Ours is an
intractable problem.

The Rev. Ian Douglas, associate professor of world mission
and global Christianity at EDS, commented afterward, "We are
deeply indebted to Archbishop Tutu for offering difficult and
painful but hope-filled reflections on his experience of racism
under the sin of apartheid, but I am particularly thankful he
was willing to challenge white America with respect to ongoing
racism in the United States, with specific references to the
suffering of Native Americans and African Americans.

Karen Coleman, a third-year student preparing for urban
ministry, said,  What stayed with me were the stories that he
told and the way he stressed that we should tell our own
stories.  We can be in places and not be present.  It felt like
everyone in that room was fully present.  If people could listen
like that to each other, hes right, we would be a great
country.

Tutu departed immediately after the lecture for Salt Lake
City to present to four youths the Reebok Human Rights Awards,
being given in conjunction with the Winter Olympic Games.

Tutu and his wife, Leah Nomalizo Shenxane, are in residence
at EDS for the spring semester.  He will give the schools
commencement address in May.

------

Tracy J. Sukraw is editor of the Episcopal Times, the
newspaper of the Diocese of Massachusetts.