From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Urban Caucus joins joins Los Angeles labor demonstration

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Fri, 15 Feb 2002 16:24:12 -0500 (EST)

February 15, 2002

2002-043

Episcopalians: Urban Caucus joins joins Los Angeles labor
demonstration

by Pat McCaughan

(ENS) Taking to the streets in protest over the firing of 240
local hotel workers, about 200 Episcopal laity and clergy, in
Los Angeles for the 22nd annual meeting of the national
Episcopal Urban Caucus, joined a February 8 demonstration
outside the Radisson Airport Hotel.

They joined the fired workers, union and religious activists
on the picket line, singing Spanish and English protest songs
and carrying signs naming the places from which theyd come and
to which they would return, to share the story of the workers
plight. The signs read: Sleepy Hollow, New York; Jackson,
Mississippi; Vancouver; Compton; Franklin, Tennessee;
Indianapolis; Atlanta; Boston; Washington, D.C.; Newark; Tacoma;
Hawaii; Delaware.

We want justice, said Clemente Calloway, a union activist
and Hyatt Hotel employee. We want equality. We want to live as
decent human beings. Injustice is the owner of a new hotel
firing 240 employees, using unfair practices, said Calloway, a
grandson of famed musician Cab Calloway. If it takes us every
day of the year, being here in front of this hotel, were going
to do it, he said.

The fired workers from Local 11 of Hotel Employees and
Restaurant Employees have picketed the Radisson since its
purchase last year by Pacifica Host, which refused to honor
union contracts, leaving hundreds without jobs or benefits.

We need your support, said Maria Mendez, a fired employee
whose two children were also on the picket line. She felt
energized by the solidarity and vowed to continue efforts to be
rehired, adding:  We know we will win in the end.

Losing our arrogance

A highlight of the four-day conference included a fiesta dinner
honoring the Rt. Rev. Barbara Harris, suffragan bishop of
Massachusetts, whose 1989 consecration made her the first woman
bishop in the Anglican Communion. Harris has announced plans to
retire in November.

The Rev. James Lawson, retired Los Angeles area pastor and
president of Clergy and Laity United for Economic Justice, who
organized the protest, addressed the caucus theme, The Diverse
and Multicultural Mission of the Church. Lawson said church
leaders must re-people churches, disciple people, and rediscover
Jesus and the Gospel in new ways beyond creedal stances.

The largest growing congregation in the United States is the
congregation of people who want nothing to do with organized
religion, Lawson told the gathering. Maybe we in the Christian
world need to lose our arrogance that Jesus is the only way, he
said. Again and again, Jesus says to people: Go, your faith
has made you whole. Jesus is talking about something in that
person ... that God has planted in themapart from the way we
want to bring them into the church. If God is a God of
unconditional grace and love, there is more than one way to
access God, he said.

Caucus events also included: a youth-organized plenary and
dialogue; a panel on multicultural ministry during which Luis
Garibay, a custodian at the Diocese of Los Angeles, described
the way the church helped him change from gang-banger to
reliable family man.

Hands around the lake

At an early morning Episcopal Network for Economic
Justice-sponsored breakfast, the Gloria Brown Award was bestowed
upon Atlanta area-based Chattahoochee Valley Episcopal Ministry,
for its efforts on behalf of the community. Gloria Brown was a
Los Angeles-area Episcopalian whose efforts led to the
establishment of the Episcopal Federal Credit Union, which
assists low-income people and the community.

Caucus-goers also attended the lakeside seating of Los
Angeles sixth bishop, the Rt. Rev. J. Jon Bruno, at Echo Park
near the Cathedral Center. Bruno, joined by L.A. Police Chief
Bernard Parks and City Councilman Eric Garcetti, unveiled
initiatives to prevent violence and promote reconciliation.
Afterwards, over a thousand people linked hands around the lake,
as a witness against violence.

Caucus board members appointed to new terms were: Bishop
William Persell of Chicago; the Rev. Charles Lane of Waterloo,
Iowa; and lay leaders, Dale Rucker, Ohio; Ralph Sibley, Buffalo;
Maggie Alston Claud of Hartford, Connecticut; and Robert Graham
of Washington, D.C., and youth member Matthew Brunner, also of
Buffalo.

The caucus formed in 1980 in response to national hearings
that determined that the churchs agenda was to stand with
minorities and the poor. This annual assembly of lay people,
bishops and clergy led to development of the Jubilee Ministry
and anti-racism training meets in Chicago in 2003.

------

--The Rev. Pat McCaughan is senior correspondent for The
Episcopal News, the newspaper of the Diocese of Los Angeles