From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS - Students in amazing US/Afghan Challenge

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Sat, 16 Feb 2002 13:38:04 -0800

ACNS 2878 - ENGLAND - 15 February 2002

Students in amazing US/Afghan Challenge

[CMS] A group of fifteen mature postgraduate students have been set an
amazing challenge. They must travel no less than 3,000 miles and raise at
least #30,000 for charity - and spend no more than #30 in doing so. All this
has to be achieved in just 60 hours from 11th - 13th March.

The challenge was given to them as part of a course on Leadership run by
Exeter University. The group have decided to raise money to set up links
between young people in Afghanistan and America, in order to help develop
friendships and understanding in the aftermath of the tragedy of September
11th.

They will begin by putting a group of visually impaired young people in
Kabul in touch with young people in New York. They plan to raise support in
the UK and then travel to New York, taking messages with them from
Afghanistan. They will also give a presentation to potential US corporate
sponsors. Money raised will be channelled through "Write Away", a UK Charity
that helps encourage communication between people with various forms of
disability.

"When we realised we could be in New York on March 11th - exactly 6 months
on from the tragedy - we felt we wanted to do something that would help,"
said the Revd Richard Steel, spokesperson for the group. "It is vital to
build real understanding between people of different cultures in today's
world. If we can start something that will, even in a small way, help
prevent such tragedies in the future we9ll have done something of lasting
value."

"What we need at the moment is sponsorship," he adds, "in cash or kind, as
well as useful contacts in this country or the US." These include offers of
airline tickets, Braille machines and personal sponsorship. #10,500 has
already been received. Full details of the needs and more information on the
Challenge can be found on the special Challenge Web site.

The group of students are all in their 30s and 40s and all have full time
jobs as well as attending the course part-time. They include people from the
world of business, public service, military and voluntary sector and are all
involved in leadership roles within their respective organisations. This
challenge is the final Module of their course.

Fr Steel is Communication Director for the Church Mission Society. Please
contact him on 020 7803 3333 (office hours) if you can help in any way.

The ACNSlist is published by the Anglican Communion Office, London.

Please send QUESTIONS or COMMENTS to acnslist@anglicancommunion.org