From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: MASS. EXEC. ADDRESSES MIDDLE EAST CONFLICT

From RICH.SCHRAMM@ecunet.org
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2002 16:01:24 -0500 (EST)

AMERICAN BAPTIST NEWS SERVICE
Office of Communication
American Baptist Churches USA
P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851
Phone: (610)768-2077 / Fax: (610)768-2320
Web: www.abc-usa.org
Richard W. Schramm, Director
 E-mail: richard.schramm@abc-usa.org

AMERICAN BAPTIST EXECUTIVE IN
MASSACHUSETTS IS AMONG CHRISTIAN LEADERS
CALLING  FOR `CLIMATE OF RESPONSIBILITY' IN
ISRAELI-PALESTINIAN CONFLICT
 The Rev. Dr. Linda C. Spoolstra, executive
minister of the American Baptist Churches of
Massachusetts, has joined other Christian leaders in the
Massachusetts Council of Churches this week in calling for
an end to Israeli-Palestinian violence and for a concerted
effort to establish a "climate of responsibility" as a prelude
to the resumption of peace negotiations in the Middle
East.
 In their "Open Letter about the Conflict between
Israel and the Palestinians from Christian Religious
Leaders in Massachusetts" representatives of Protestant
and Greek Orthodox groups within the state urged
government leaders in the Middle East "to stop the
violence, resume negotiations and address the
humanitarian crisis that accompanies the current
situation."
 The religious leaders, quoting Psalm 34:14,
exhorted governmental officials to "Seek peace and pursue
it."  "These tragic actions," their letter maintains,
"underscore the need for fresh approaches to stop
reciprocal actions of violence, to counter the culture of
blame, and to create a climate of responsibility that will
enable the resumption of peace negotiations."
 In their 1982 statement "A Call to Repentance and
Responsibility in the Middle East" Massachusetts Council of
Churches leaders voiced support for the rights of the
people of Israel to statehood within secure and defined
boundaries and the equal rights of the Palestinian people
to self-determination and self-government.  The current
open letter reiterates that support: "We are firmly
committed to the right of the state of Israel to exist in
security and tranquility.  We also affirm the need for an
autonomous Palestinian state with equal confidence and
freedom from fear."
 The letter also states, "Our common faith
traditions--Christian, Jewish and Muslim--have strong
commitments to justice and peace.   We long to make the
world a better place for all God's children.   These deeply
held religious convictions inform our ethical concerns.  And
so we are moved to ask of ourselves and others: What
have we acceded to that we should have resisted?   What
has not been done that could be?   What has been
unchallenged that should be?"
 Release of the Massachusetts leaders' letter
precedes an upcoming gathering of the U.S. Conference of
the World Council of Churches in Boston Feb. 28-March 2.
The WCC has declared 2001-2010 "The Decade to
Overcome Violence."  Discussion about the Israeli-
Palestinian conflict is on the agenda of the meeting which
has as its theme "Overcoming Violence: Churches Seeking
Peace and Reconciliation."

W022102A.TXT

 -0-