From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: GENERAL SECRETARY AFFIRMS DENOMINATIONS

From RICH.SCHRAMM@ecunet.org
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2002 10:34:49 -0500 (EST)

AMERICAN BAPTIST NEWS SERVICE
Office of Communication
American Baptist Churches USA
P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851
Phone: (610)768-2077 / Fax: (610)768-2320
Web: www.abc-usa.org
Richard W. Schramm, Director
 E-mail: richard.schramm@abc-usa.org

GENERAL SECRETARY AFFIRMS VIABILITY OF
DENOMINATIONS AS `EXPRESSION
OF ORGANIC UNITY GIVEN BY OUR COMMON
CONFESSION THAT JESUS IS LORD'
 American Baptist Churches USA General Secretary
A. Roy Medley has strongly affirmed the role of
denominations as expressions "of that organic unity given
by our common confession that Jesus is Lord."
 In an interview to be printed in the March/April
issue of American Baptists In Mission, Medley rejected the
charge by some that we are in a "post-denominational"
era in which effectiveness in Christian witness can best be
realized in parachurch and nontraditional religious
organizations.
 "I think it's fair to say that I wouldn't have
accepted this position if I didn't feel that denominations
were relevant to the life of the church today," he said.
"That is not to say that denominations are exactly where
God wants us to be, but I believe that our organic unity as
the church is something that is a given...by the fact that
we are called to serve the same Lord and be a part of the
same Body.   Denominations, for all of their faults, are the
expression of that organic unity given by our common
confession that Jesus is Lord. They have been very
effective as organizations for mission."
 He maintained that denominations need to be
open to renewal and change:  "I think there are areas
where denominations in the U.S. have to reassess their
ministry and how they do things.   Every denomination in
its history has primarily been a vehicle for the funding of
mission work in other places.  One of the great paradigm
shifts of the last part of the last century--and certainly
going into this century--is that the U.S. has once again
become a major mission field.  So the challenge is how do
we help churches understand their roles as mission
outposts in their community and help them with the
resources they need to be strong in that ministry."
 "We also now are global communities," he added.
"My experience in New Jersey as executive minister was
that our congregations were becoming not only merely
multiethnic and multicultural, they also were becoming
multinational in makeup.  The easy division between home
mission and overseas mission did not necessarily pertain
to our life in New Jersey.  We had large waves of new
immigrant groups coming in who we wanted to reach and
who we wanted to join our churches.  But they also were
reaching back to their homelands as members of local
congregations, connecting with their churches in their
home country in mission and ministry in ways that we
could never orchestrate as a denomination or as ABC of
New Jersey.  But what we could do was to help embrace
those ministries, provide some of the resources they
needed to do them effectively, and free people up to do
ministry instead of trying to control ministry."
 Medley noted "how denominations began as
mission organizations, then tended to evolve into
bureaucracies and then into regulatory agencies.   The
challenge for us is to come back full circle again with our
primary identity being that of a mission enterprise where
the local church is at the very heart."
 "These are challenging times for us as
denominations, with some people seeing us as dinosaurs,"
he acknowledged.  "But I see a rich fabric of
connectedness, a rich history of mission, and rich
distinctives that each of those families bring to the church
universal--and also to the world--as a gift.  I'm not ready
to give up on those things.  I am heavily invested in
seeing us become more effective in supporting the mission
of the church both within the North American context and
the world."

W022202A.TXT

 -0-