From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Title: UFMCC Head Calls for Resignation of Alabama's Chief

From UfmccHq@aol.com
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2002 16:03:59 EST

 From The Headquarters
of Metropolitan Community Churches

Head of Metropolitan Community Churches, Veteran Human Rights Activist,
Calls for Resignation of Alabama Supreme Court Justice
Judge Called for Incarceration, Execution of Gays and Lesbians

A Message From
The Rev. Troy D. Perry

FEBRUARY 22, 2002

Today, I am adding my voice to the many voices of faith and conscience around
the world in calling for the resignation of Alabama Supreme Court Chief
Justice Roy Moore.

Justice Moore, in his ruling this past week in a custody case involving a
lesbian parent, called for the confinement and execution of homosexuals,
imposing his own draconian morality on the judicial system and upon the
citizens of Alabama.

In the court's decision, Justice Moore wrote, "The State carries the power of
the sword, that is, the power to prohibit conduct with physical penalties,
such as confinement and even execution. It must use that power to prevent the
subversion of children toward this lifestyle, to not encourage criminal
lifestyle." The official court opinion also described homosexuality as
"abhorrent, immoral, detestable...a violation of nature's God upon which this
Nation was founded...and...an inherent evil."

Many people of faith who know the Christian Scriptures will recognize that
Justice Moore has simply lifted words from the Bible, twisted the meaning of
those words to fit his own personal biases, and then imposed them as law upon
the citizens of Alabama. This is unconscionable.

As a former citizen of Alabama, who attended junior high and high schools in
Mobile and Prichard, Alabama, I value my deep and personal connections with
the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered communities of Alabama.

I am all the more horrified that this legal decision was rendered in the same
state in which Billy Jack Gaither was savagely murdered solely for being gay,
and in which a recent survey by the University of Alabama found that 44% of
Alabama's lesbians and gays had been targets of anti-gay abuse in their
families, 39% in their neighborhoods, and 48% in the workplace.

As the Founder and Moderator of Metropolitan Community Churches, I also wish
to note that there are six predominantly gay MCC churches across Alabama. I
have frequently visited these churches and I know these congregations. I have
observed firsthand the many GLBT parents in Alabama who are raising
wonderful, loving, healthy children -- and the thousands of GLBT citizens of
Alabama who seek nothing more and nothing less than equality under the law. I
salute all the members of Metropolitan Community Churches across Alabama who
are uniting with human rights groups to fight injustice and to work for
equality under the law.

Justice Moore's decision contains some of the most biased and hate-filled
propaganda to come out of a governmental authority since Nazi Germany.

Not since the Jim Crow laws of an earlier day, have I seen such prejudice and
hostility towards a minority group endorsed by any government agency within
the United States.

As an act of solidarity with the gay and lesbian citizens of Alabama, I call
upon all people of goodwill to follow the recommendations and actions offered
by GLBT and human rights groups in Alabama

Today, I am inviting all people of goodwill to join me in prayers for the
lesbian mother and her three children involved in this custody case -- and in
support for all the citizens of Alabama who are seeking effective ways to
right this injustice.

And I am adding my voice to a growing international chorus calling for the
immediate resignation of Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy Moore and
for the appropriate authorities to open investigations into this miscarriage
of justice.

/signed/
The Rev. Troy D. Perry
Office of the Moderator
Metropolitan Community Churches

(END)

For Additional Information, Contact:
Jim Birkitt
MCC Communications Director
8704 Santa Monica Boulevard, Second Floor
West Hollywood, CA  90069
Tel. (310) 360-8640, Ext. 226
E-Mail: info@MCCchurch.org
Website: www.MCCchurch.org