From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

CCM celebrants unsure what grass-roots group might be becoming

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 26 Feb 2002 13:31:49 -0500

Note #7066 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

26-February-2002
02076

Re-forming?

CCM celebrants unsure what grass-roots group might be becoming

by Evan Silverstein

ATLANTA - Marjorie Callander turned out for the first National Celebration of Confessing Churches to affirm what she called "the basics" of her Christian faith.

The three-day event, sponsored by the Confessing Church Movement (CCM), a loose network of Presbyterian churches that have affirmed three statements of Christian faith, opened Monday at the Georgia International Convention Center here.

Although they vary somewhat in wording, the statements adopted by the confessing churches, including Callander's Memorial Presbyterian Church of Montgomery, AL, affirm the lordship of Jesus Christ and the "infallible" authority of the Bible and hold that marriage is the only acceptable context for sexual relations.

"I guess I just wanted to get back to the basics," Callander said, "back to the understanding that Scripture is God's word."

Callander joined about 800 pastors, church elders, session members, deacons and lay members of the Presbyterian Church (USA) - most of whom describe themselves as conservative or evangelical - in affirming the movement's principles and vowing to "build the Presbyterian Church."

"I'm very encouraged, and I find it refreshing and impressive," she said. "It's a wonderful turnout. Certainly the holy Sprit is moving in this Confessing Church Movement."

Many participants said they believe the national gathering will build momentum for the 10-month-old movement, which claims it has the support of nearly 16 percent of the PC(USA)'s 2.5 million members. Some said the recent defeat of Amendment 01-A, which would have repealed the so-called "fidelity and chastity" provision of the Book of Order, will also strengthen the CCM.

One participant said the debate over 01-A shows how conflicts in the PC(USA) can bring people together in organizations like the CCM.

"I think all of these things are interacting with one another," said Susanne Bendoraitis, 26, a student at independent Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena, CA. "I think all of these things are effects of one another ... (and) are causing the church to explore what it is and what it believes ... as it interacts with the culture."

Robert Gorton, an elder from New Providence, NJ, disagreed.

"I don't think they should be connected," he said, referring to the movement and the debate over 01-A. "This (movement) is just a reinforcement of the validity of Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior, and we should live accordingly."

Some said they view the celebration as a way of better defining the sketchy CCM, which no formal leadership, no infrastructure and no central office - although conference organizers said the informal nature of the "grass-roots" movement won't be changing anytime soon.

"We need to explain to people - in case any came wondering when's the election for the steering committee or the board of directors - that we're not going to do that," said the Rev. Doug Pratt, pastor of Memorial Park Presbyterian Church in suburban Pittsburgh, a member of the conference planning team. "We're going to send everybody back to do the work of the church wherever they are."

Others saw the coming-together of "like-minded" Presbyterians as a step toward linking local confessing congregations in regional groups.

"There's been discussions of networking between local areas," said Marge Mills, a member of First Presbyterian Church in Lenoir, NC. "I think there's an emphasis on joining with other churches ... to support one another in proclaiming that Jesus is Lord."

Larry Lewis, of Newport, KY, said he doesn't think the defeat of Amendment 01-A will reduce interest in the CCM.

"I think two things," said Lewis, an elder at Madeira-Silverwood Presbyterian Church, of Cincinnati, OH. "The Confessing Church Movement and Amendment A are separate, and I don't think (the resolution of the debate) will take any steam out of the confessing church. I think that this activity (the national gathering) will put some steam into the movement."

Lewis, a former Quaker who became a Presbyterian 30 years ago, said conflicts within the denomination over the past two decades or so have created a climate of frustration that the CCM is addressing.

"I think the Confessing Church Movement offers an outlet for the evangelical in making a statement," he said. "I think that it's very loosely organized, and that the movement doesn't really know where it's going. That will depend on God's direction."

Pratt said organizers were pleased with the turnout. He said he was pleasantly surprised that 55 percent of participants were not ordained ministers, but were elders, deacons or lay members.

"That's very good," Pratt said, "and speaks to the movement tapping into the interest and concerns of the local churches."

Pratt noted with satisfaction that the celebration attracted a lot of younger Presbyterians.

Glenn Rouselle, an 18-year-old from Cohoes, NY, who was a member of the session of United Church of Cohoes when it endorsed a confessional statement, said of the CCM :

"I feel it's a good direction, because it's very Bible-based. I like the main points of it - that Jesus Christ is our Savior and our Lord, and that we should live a pure life, the way he would want us to, and just to follow his Commandments."