From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Executive Council calls AMiA schismatic, 'untenable'

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Fri, 1 Mar 2002 09:22:10 -0500 (EST)

February 28, 2002

2002-050

Episcopalians: Executive Council calls AMiA schismatic,
'untenable'

by Jan Nunley

(ENS) Addressing "the inherent danger which comes from schism,"
the Executive Council of the Episcopal Church at its meeting in
San Antonio, Texas, February 22-25, passed a strongly worded
criticism of the Anglican
Mission in America (AMiA).

In the resolution, council members said that they had
"followed with sadness the formation and implementation of an
ecclesial body called The Anglican Mission in America," adding
that they were "saddened and grieved by the AMiA ordinations to
the episcopate in Denver in June, 2001, and we affirm with the
Archbishop of Canterbury that these ordinations, like the ones
in Singapore, were at best irregular."

The resolution calls the "coexistence of parallel bodies
within one province," with both claiming communion with the
Archbishop of Canterbury, to be "untenable." In addition, it
says, "the consecration of Bishops in ECUSA without the
canonical process of nomination, election and consent confuses
our people and undermines our unity."

"Further, we consider bishops of our church who participate
in any irregular ordinations to the episcopate to be in direct
violation of their ordination vows to conform to the doctrine,
discipline and worship of the Episcopal Church and to guard our
church's faith, unity and discipline as well as its
constitutions and canons," the resolution states. Archbishop
Datuk Yong Ping Chung of South East Asia and Archbishop Emmanuel
Kolini, Bishops John Rucyahana and Venuste Mutiganda of Rwanda
were joined by retired American bishops Alex Dickson of West
Tennessee and FitzSimons Allison of South Carolina in the Denver
consecrations.

"While we as an Executive Council are at various points of
understanding regarding a number of matters, we are united in
our resolve to strive for unity in diversity without the
necessity of division," the resolution continues. "We recognize
that we are to uphold the Constitution and Canons of the
Episcopal Church and we are bound to say that we believe that
they provide adequate means for accountability."

The statement ends by calling for "dialogue at the deepest
level regarding our differences." It was passed unanimously and
signed by members of the council present at the San Antonio
meeting.

------

--The Rev. Jan Nunley is deputy director of Episcopal News
Service.