From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Bishop of Ft. Worth objects to report of task force visit

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Wed, 6 Mar 2002 15:35:39 -0500 (EST)

March 6, 2002

2002-059

Episcopalians: Bishop of Ft. Worth objects to report of task
force visit

by James Solheim

(ENS) Bishop Jack Iker of Ft. Worth has written to Sarah Harte
of New York, co-chair of an Executive Council task force that
has been asked by General Convention resolution to monitor
progress in three dioceses that still do not ordain women to the
priesthood, expressing his dismay with her report to the
recent council meeting in San Antonio.

In her report, Harte said the role of women in the diocese
was described to us as analogous to the role of women in the
familysupporting and nurturing. Iker said in his February 27
letter that, after reviewing the tape and transcript of the
meeting, this characterization was untrue. He pointed out that
the diocese had presented to the three task force membersHarte,
Bishop Peter James Lee of Virginia, and the Rev. David Chee of
Los Angelesa report on Women in ministry and leadership
positions in the Diocese of Fort Wortha look at the facts.

In presenting the report, Jo Ann Patton of the diocesan
Standing Committee said, Women have a very active role in the
diocese. We are energized and respected and productive. We are
involved. We are recruited and elected to lots of positions all
around the diocese, and we fill many responsible positions and
exercise leadership The facts speak for themselves. We are full
partners in the ministry of this diocese.

Iker charged that the task force report to council attempts
to portray Fort Worth in an unfavorable light, adding that
Hartes comments imply that the diocese wants to restrict women
to the family roles of support and nurture. Iker said that
Hartes comments led him to the conclusion that you have a
personal axe to grind and that you did not come here to listen
and learn at all, but with preconceptions which you sought to
have reinforced.

In response, Harte said that members of the task force have
not received copies of the transcript of the conversation so she
was not in a position to verify the accuracy of her analogy from
the meeting. Yet she said that her recollection and memory were
quite clear that such an analogy was a part of the conversation.
We certainly left with the strong impression, however, that
women are playing an important role in the diocese, she said.

------

--James Solheim is director of Episcopal News Service.