From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Anglican Church in Greater Manchester is on its marks for the Games

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 06 Mar 2002 14:28:01 -0800

ACNS 2899 - ENGLAND - 5 March 2002

The Church in Greater Manchester is on its marks for the Games

[More than Gold Office] What could be more important than a gold medal for
your country during the Commonwealth Games? The Christians in Greater
Manchester are keen to tell as many of their guests as possible the answer
to that question. Following last summer's launch of the interdenominational
More Than Gold initiative, which was supported by two thousand Christians,
churches in Greater Manchester are currently preparing their programme of
events around the Games (25th July - 4th August).

Ivor Telfer, Chair of More Than Gold's Management Board, considers the Games
an ideal opportunity for the church to communicate the gospel. "There are
three universal languages: arts, music and sports. The Church is beginning
to use the medium of sport to connect with society." Sports events for the
youth and kids holiday clubs will be offered throughout the city, supervised
by qualified coaches. "The Games gives us great opportunities to engage
youngsters in the fun and games of sport. After the Games, we will continue
to capture that enthusiasm and contribute to the development of their
talents," he added. Churches will also invite the community to Big Screen
events in their halls and cafis with some having Internet facilities to
access the latest information about the Games.

An family hosting programme aims to accommodate athletes families and
coaches. Spokeswoman, Marijke Hoek, comments: "In view of the fact that
wealth is not common at all, many coaches and families face a immense
financial challenge in visiting the UK. We want to make sure that by
offering our hospitality we indeed welcome the world." During the Olympic
Games in Sydney, 53 percent of the athletes families were offered
hospitality by Christian households.

Many of the Greater Manchester clergy will be involved in the Sport
Chaplaincy. Churches will be involved through street outreach with face
painting, balloon sculpting and street theatre. Furthermore, a canteen
ministry will serve many visitors in the city with refreshments.

"All in all, we hope to serve the Games well this summer with our
hospitality, care and enthusiasm and build on the contacts with the
community thereafter." Ivor Telfer added, "This, however, is not just an
opportunity for the Church in Greater Manchester, but for the church in the
whole nation."

Stuart Weir, Christians in Sport, said, "Major sports events have proved
wonderful opportunities to communicate our faith. The concept is simple -
using the interest in such a major sports event to create a bridge for
ministry."

The ACNSlist is published by the Anglican Communion Office, London.

Please send QUESTIONS or COMMENTS to acnslist@anglicancommunion.org