From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod Examines Church Voice in Society

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 07 Mar 2002 11:34:33 -0800

The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod
Board for Communication Services

LCMSNews -- No. 11
March 7, 2002

COP,  sem faculties address
church's voice in society

The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod's Council of Presidents (COP) and two
seminary faculties took a close look at the church's voice in society-
especially concerning events with other Christians and non-Christians--
during their Feb. 28-March 2 retreat at a St. Louis hotel.

With the theme "Open Doors and Clear Proclamation," the 100-plus
participants heard a number of speakers on matters related to that theme
and met in small groups to discuss those presentations.

Much of the retreat agenda was off the record when speakers addressed
topics that directly and sometimes indirectly pertained to charges brought
against Atlantic District President David Benke. Those charges have to do
with Benke's participation in "A Prayer for America" Sept. 23 at Yankee
Stadium. Last month, the Synod's Board of Directors ordered a halt to any
information concerning those charges, because of the Synod's
dispute-resolution process.

"I think that progress was made at this retreat, mostly in our outlook,"
said Rev. Ronald Bergen, Ohio District president and retreat committee
chairman.

Two presentations that Bergen referred to as "especially helpful" were
given by Dr. David Adams, associate professor of exegetical theology and
director of educational technology at the St. Louis seminary; and Rev.
Herbert C. Mueller Jr, president of the Southern Illinois District.

Adams, addressing the topic "The Church in the Public Square in a
Pluralistic Society," spoke primarily about American civil religion
and  events that fall between worship and civic events.

"As we live in mission in a pluralistic and increasingly polytheistic
world, we must become savvy enough to recognize that not all religious
activity around us will fall into the neat categories that we have
generated in the past," Adams said. "We must address these new developments
with a zeal for right teaching and witness tempered by love for one another
in Christ and genuine care for our neighbor."

"The church is thirsting for ongoing conversation [about these matters],"
said Dr. Bruce Schuchard, assistant professor of exegetical theology at
Concordia Seminary, St. Louis. Commenting for his small group that met to
discuss Adams' presentation, Schuchard said its members "talked about the
church's need to hear from us after this three-day meeting."

Reporting for another small group, Southern District President Orval
Mueller said, "We share the frustration with others that we did not make
more significant progress in addressing the issues confronting our church
or arrive at any statement to share with our church. Many are eager to hear
a word of hope that would have come out of this meeting.

Dr. William Weinrich, the academic dean at Fort Wayne and fifth vice
president of the Synod, later told Reporter that he saw the retreat as
"very successful as a collegial exchange of viewpoints.  However, in the
absence of strong consensus on issues confronting the Synod, a statement
attempting to speak specifically to questions of current concern would not
be beneficial."

Ultimately, no such statement resulted from the retreat.

Herbert Mueller's presentation was on "How We Deal with Diversities and
Differences in Our Midst."

"The basic point is very simple," Mueller said. "Whenever we deal with
diversities and differences within our synodical fellowship -- whatever the
arena, whatever the relationship -- we are called to treat each other as
brothers, men who have one Lord and Master -- Jesus."

He said that the "bottom line" of his presentation was, "We have to
continue our dialog or else we will experience further division -- dialog
not just for the sake of dialog, but for the sake of our united
proclamation of the Gospel."

Other retreat presenters included Synod President Gerald B. Kieschnick;
Rev. Carl Krueger, president of the SELC District; Dr.  Dwayne Mau, pastor
of St. Paul Lutheran Church, Monroe, N.Y.; Montana District President
George Wollenburg; Dr. David Scaer, chairman of the department of
systematic theology at the Fort Wayne seminary; Benke; Rev. Lawrence Rast,
assistant academic dean at Fort Wayne; and Dr. Roger Pittelko, visiting
professor of pastoral ministry and mission, Fort Wayne. Rev. Terry Cripe,
pastor of Christ Our Savior Lutheran Church, Defiance, Ohio, was the
retreat chaplain.

The COP met in executive session after the retreat ended.  A meeting of the
seminary faculties planned for the same time was canceled because of a
winter storm headed for St. Louis.

Joint COP/seminary faculties retreats are held every two or three years,
according to Bergen, who said that a number of participants this year
indicated that they would like them to become annual events.

LCMSNews is published by the News and Information Division, Board for
Communication Services, of The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod.  Please
note that subscribers to LCMSNews will not be able to reach anyone by
hitting the "Reply" button when viewing an LCMSNews release. Such replies
will be deleted. However, if you have questions or comments about this
LCMSNews release, contact Joe Isenhower via e-mail at
joe.isenhower@lcms.org, or by phone at (314) 996-1231.