From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Commentary: Despite political climate, Africa University safe

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Thu, 7 Mar 2002 14:30:48 -0600

March 7, 2002 News media contact: Linda Green7(615)742-54707Nashville, Tenn.
10-31-71BP{090}

NOTE: A head-and-shoulders photo of Celinda J. Hughes is available at
http://umns.umc.org/photos/headshots.html.

A UMNS Commentary
By Celinda J. Hughes*

The students and staff of Africa University extend thanks to the United
Methodist Church in the United States and elsewhere for the prayers and
concerns expressed about our safety during these turbulent times in
Zimbabwe.

On March 9 and 10, the country will hold national elections.  Because of the
news accounts of violence and injustice, many of you fear for us or have
reservations about traveling to Zimbabwe.  We understand how it would appear
based on the media reports. We cannot deny there is trouble in many areas.
But Africa University, the United Methodist-related school in Mutare,
Zimbabwe, is safe. God has placed a hand on us that is strong and sure.

Today, I opened a delayed Christmas box from home. Perhaps it is strange to
write of Christmas gifts in the middle of March, especially since the
current environment is not indicative of good cheer. However, in reviewing
the biblical narrative of the birth of Jesus, one quickly recognizes this
celebrated event was also shrouded in the politics of Herod.

The Christmas box from my godchildren and extended family in Nashville,
Tenn., included thoughtful, personal gifts, photographs of tender, smiling
faces, worship bulletins from our church and a greeting card from a friend.

During the "festive season," the card would probably blend in with many of
the others expressing sentiments from friends and family. But today I was
particularly struck by the wording and imagery of this one. It featured a
dove, a few lines from a standard Christmas carol, "O Come All Ye Faithful,"
and the word "peace." The inside text included the wish for a beautiful
holiday season and, the best part, a new year of peace and happiness.

In the African-American tradition of  "talking back" to the preacher, I
could say, "that'll preach" and be assured of getting a few "amens."

The political situation overshadows everything these days. Although we send
press releases to local media about many things happening at Africa
University, the main topic of discussion is politics. In conversations at
lunch tables, bus stops, market stands and business offices, the headlines
of the day, as varied as the weather, become the focal point of
communication.

In one of my Christmas box photographs, my godchild, Tatyana Haddock, age 6,
is standing in front of many pictures of hands, cut out and pasted on the
wall behind her. Someone looking over my shoulder at the photograph remarked
how the opposition party symbol (an open hand) seems far-reaching.  I
explained that the hands represented the feathers on the Thanksgiving
turkeys the children made. It was a much-needed moment of levity.  It was
also an example of how much the political climate is like the weather - with
us all the time.

Despite the current situation, lecturers still expect students to study,
administrators continue with the day-to-day operations, trees and flowers
are being planted, and we are moving toward the first class at the school's
Institute of Peace, Leadership and Governance.

Africa University is a symbol of peace. This year, we celebrate 10 years of
investing in the dreams, ideas and hopes for a better Africa. You are a part
of the celebration because you continue to believe that God will perform
more miracles in Zimbabwe.

So what is peace?  What does it mean? What can it mean for Zimbabwe?

A wise taxi driver named Julius told me: "To have God in your mind is to
have peace. When you have God, you have peace, because God is peace. God is
love. People should be educated to run away from violence, especially
political violence. When you have love, you have peace.

"If I support another team than you, it doesn't mean I should hate you," he
said. "In every event, there is opposition. When God created man, he created
humans, and we have different opinions.  Love is stronger than hate. When
you have peace, you don't have to quarrel."

We are safe because we belong to God. My friend Julius left me with his
wisdom by saying, "If you know God, you know peace. If there is no God,
there is no peace."
# # #
*Hughes, a staff member of United Methodist Communications, is Africa
University's interim director of information.

Commentaries provided by United Methodist News Service do not necessarily
represent the opinions or policies of UMNS or the United Methodist Church.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org