From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: RELIEF FUNDS AID RECOVERY IN KABUL

From RICH.SCHRAMM@ecunet.org
Date Tue, 12 Mar 2002 14:04:23 -0500 (EST)

AMERICAN BAPTIST NEWS SERVICE
Office of Communication
American Baptist Churches USA
P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851
Phone: (610)768-2077 / Fax: (610)768-2320
Web: www.abc-usa.org
Richard W. Schramm, Director
 E-mail: richard.schramm@abc-usa.org

AMERICAN BAPTIST RELIEF FUNDS AID RECOVERY
IN AFGHAN CAPITAL
 American Baptist International Ministries,
supporting the work of  ecumenical partners through One
Great Hour of Sharing, has contributed $50,000 for
funding the delivery of emergency supplies to the Afghan
capital city of Kabul.
 The American Baptist endeavor has been
undertaken in conjunction with Hungarian Baptist Aid,
which has been working with the Hungarian Ministry of
Foreign Affairs and which had an on-site presence in Kabul
as supplies began to be distributed.
 David Gal of Hungarian Baptist Aid recently shared
a first-hand account of conditions in Kabul as those
supplies were received:
 "Kabul is a city in rubbles. After 28 years of war,
entire districts, once beautiful castles and mansions lay
shattered in the dust.  Mines and used ammunitions lay on
the ground...  Burnt cars [are] turned upside down along
the streets, monuments of brutal and insensible
destruction.
 "The Americans did not leave this behind [and]
common people greet them as liberators....  It takes a
long time to find the few houses that were destroyed by
the American Air Force.  The attacks were precise and well
planned; only armored vehicles, military bases and
strongholds of the Taliban were demolished....
 "The need is so great and the hungry people are
so desperate that distributing food must be conducted in
the most careful way.  We need to inform the local
municipality and the police chief; we need to decide who
and how should receive the food support.  Where the
needs are so tremendous, aid and relief becomes a
distinct profession....
 "In the poorest district of Kabul, among pregnant
women, the malnourished [and] hurt...we must give, give,
give...food items that mean sheer survival.... They keep
coming for hours, crying, pleading, sometimes standing in
lines, sometimes pushing all over in a way we can hardly
manage....  By this time we [are] throwing food cans, toys
in plastic bags, yelling in Hungarian and English,
explaining to bring back the empty cans, so that we can
give out the rations for the next five days..
 "...We bring in us every pain and joy of the day
spent in the slums of Kabul, feeling that whoever gives to
the needy will be rich."
 Contributions for continuing relief may be sent
through One Great Hour of Sharing.  American Baptists
may send through customary mission channels marked as
One Great Hour of Sharing (line 7 on Monthly Report of
Mission Support) designated for "HB Aid/Afghanistan."
Those wishing to contribute online can do so by accessing
the "American Baptist Missions" or "Give Now" pages of
the ABCUSA Web site
--www.abc-usa.org.

W031102A.TXT

 -0-