From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Commentary: Violence won't bring peace to Middle East

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Tue, 12 Mar 2002 14:22:39 -0600

March 12, 2002   News media contact: Tim Tanton7(615)742-54707Nashville,
Tenn.  10-21-71BP{098}

NOTE: Bishop Elias Galvan, leader of the United Methodist Church's Seattle
Area, visited the Middle East in February as part of a fact-finding
delegation that included three other bishops, two top executives of church
agencies and a staff person. Galvan was co-leader of the delegation and also
serves as president of the United Methodist Council of Bishops. He has
issued the following in the form of a statement. A photograph of Galvan is
available at http://umns.umc.org/photos/headshots.html.

A UMNS Commentary
By Bishop Elias Galvan

I am deeply troubled about the escalation of violence, the large number of
people who have died as a result of this violence, and the increased level
of anxiety that residents of the Holy Land are experiencing in recent days.

I am greatly concerned by the news of indiscriminate shelling of Christian
towns like Bethlehem. I am concerned for the safety of our missionaries and
the welfare of our sisters and brothers who welcomed us into their
institutions and homes on our recent visit to the Holy Land.

After this visit, I am more convinced that a military show of force,
shelling of villages and refugee camps, or suicide bombers will not bring
peace. On the contrary, these acts of violence and the suffering they create
will deepen resentment and increase the feelings of revenge that will lead
to more violence and acts of retaliation. More lives will be lost, more
property will be destroyed, and there will be an increased sense of
insecurity and anxiety for all those who live in Israel and Palestine.

The increasing cycle of violence must be stopped if there is to be peace.

In our dialogue with Jewish and Christian leaders, they affirmed that the
present policies of Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon that offered peace
and security have failed. Military responses from Israel and the acts of
retaliation that they evoke have increased the feelings of insecurity and
made the goal of a "settled peace" more distant. Most everyone we spoke to
in Israel or Palestine pleaded for a new way that leads to new negotiations,
ends the occupation of Palestine, and forges the principles that will lead
to security and a lasting peace.

I am pleased that President Bush has sent his special envoy, Gen. Anthony
Zinni, to the Middle East. I am convinced after our visit to the Holy Land
that the U.S. government can and must play the key role in bringing people
of both sides of the conflict to a negotiating table. But if our government
is to play this role as peacemaker, it must be fair to both sides, not only
be concerned with the security of Israel but also with the human suffering
that the occupation of Palestine has brought upon the people who live there.

I plead with all United Methodists to pray even more fervently for peace in
the Holy Land, and also to actively work for peace, to stand in solidarity
with our Christian sisters and brothers who feel abandoned by the Christian
church in other parts of the world, and to call on our government to use its
influence with Israel and the Arab world to find a new alternative to the
spiraling circle of violence.

# # #

Commentaries provided by United Methodist News Service do not necessarily
represent the opinions or official policies of UMNS or the United Methodist
Church. However, formal church statements on the Middle East are available
at http://infoserv.umc.org/faq/archives.htm online.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org