From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Commentary: A view 'on the ground' of Zimbabwe's election

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Thu, 14 Mar 2002 14:17:33 -0600

March 14, 2002	News media contact: Linda Green7(615)742-54707Nashville,
Tenn.     10-21-31-71BP{107}

NOTE: Bishop Warner H. Brown Jr., leader of the United Methodist Church's
Denver Area, visited Zimbabwe in February and early March as part of a
fact-finding mission and to visit Africa University. A photo is available at
http://umns.umc.org/photos/headshots.html.

A UMNS Commentary
By Bishop Warner H. Brown Jr.

I recently had the opportunity to visit Africa University and other parts of
Zimbabwe.  I am happy to report that all is well at Africa University.
Students from across the continent of Africa happily pursue their
opportunity for an excellent education. Our university is a highly valued
and respected institution within its host nation.

Zimbabwe is a safe and enjoyable place to travel. My experience on the
ground is far different than the frightening reports in the news.

The standard of living for the people is far better than in other countries
I've visited on the African continent. Harare is a bustling, well-maintained
city. New commercial and residential construction projects are moving toward
completion. It is clear that this nation, more than 20 years after
independence, must be doing some things right.

Yet, despite these very positive signs, the economy is in turmoil, and this
crisis fueled the recent election controversy. Inflation is running over 100
percent. Residents report that food shortages and below-normal rainfall are
causing some people to go hungry.

In addition, controversy lingers over the issue of land ownership. A legacy
of the former Southern Rhodesia is the fact that 70 percent of the arable
land is owned by only 6,000 whites. This is the current reality in a nation
of more than 12 million people, including about 250,000 white Zimbabweans.
The agreements that ended colonialism called for the fair redistribution of
land, but this has not been done, and financial assistance from the United
Kingdom to compensate landowners has not materialized.

As the election approached, both presidential candidates and their parties
rallied for support.  Campaign posters were everywhere. International
election observers were also evident. Observer teams from South Africa
seemed to be everywhere, and other observers were working this election too.

While at Africa University, I was invited to join a meeting of the vice
chancellor and an observer team from South Africa. This team was a diverse
group of people from different backgrounds, all well trained and
experienced. The group included a member of the South African Parliament.
This team was determined to be impartial and thorough. They visited opinion
makers like university leaders, observed political rallies, and looked into
various aspects of the election process. I am certain that they have been
able to give a complete account on the fairness of the election.

I must say it was disappointing to observe that European and American media
coverage seemed biased.  Their reports suggested that the only way the
incumbent could win would be by intimidating voters or stealing the
election. My observations were that support for both the opposition and the
government seemed to be strong. The major media repeated reports from a
limited number of European observers of an "unfair election" and "violence,"
while reports from more numerous South African and Zimbabwe Council of
Churches observers were ignored.

Questions are being raised even within the media. Matt Wells, media
correspondent for The Guardian, included these statements in a March 12
article: "Senior figures at the BBC World Service have expressed concern to
the domestic news division that coverage of the Zimbabwe elections has been
driven by a 'colonial' agenda, potentially causing damage to the
corporation's reputation for impartiality.

"There were worries about the tone of coverage ..., which, according to some
at the World Service, has made a conscious attempt to 'illegitimise' (sic)
the Robert Mugabe administration with the use of pejorative terms such as
'regime' and adjectives such as 'tough,' 'fierce' and 'brutal.'

"The sources did not attempt to suggest that Mr. Mugabe was without fault,
but they pointed to worse abuses committed by governments in Liberia and
Congo. Elections in Congo were held last weekend amid allegations of huge
election fraud, yet did not feature prominently on the domestic news agenda.
It is suggested that the interest in the Zimbabwe elections is being driven
by the 'residual British interest and the presence of white farmers.'...
Another said the agenda was characterized by 'latent and unwitting
colonialism.'"

I believe the voters of Zimbabwe are capable of making their own decisions.
The opposition party made strong gains in the 2000 parliamentary election.
This demonstrates the people's ability to express their will.

The people of the United States can recall the lessons of our last
presidential election. A sharply contested election rings with accusations
on all sides. Despite the controversy of the flawed Florida election and a
smaller vote count than his opponent, our president was elected under our
laws and has won the support of the American people as he seeks to serve the
best interests of our nation. We should not apply a double standard to
others.

# # #

Commentaries provided by United Methodist News Service do not necessarily
represent the opinions or official policies of UMNS or the United Methodist
Church.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org