From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Peace depends on end to Israeli occupation, agency says

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Mon, 18 Mar 2002 14:33:27 -0600

March 18, 2002       News media contact: Joretta Purdue7(202)
546-87227Washington     10-21-71B{111}

NOTE: This report is accompanied by a sidebar, UMNS story #112.

HERNDON, Va. (UMNS) - Israel must end its occupation of Palestinian
territories in order for peace to occur in the Middle East, according to the
United Methodist agency for international social witness and advocacy.

"Israel will find peace and security through ending the illegal occupation
of Palestinian and Arab territories," declared the United Methodist Board of
Church and Society in its semi-annual meeting March 14-17. "Palestinian
security and peace and economic stability will be found behind secure
borders in a civil and democratic society."

The board also called for "the creation of an independent Palestinian state
as soon as possible."

In their statement, the voting members of the board recognized that
"courageous leaders" within both nations are at work on those goals. The
board offered its support and prayers.

The board's declaration affirmed U.S. actions in support of the United
Nations Security Council resolution calling for Israel and Palestine to live
side by side as two nations each within secure and recognized borders.

"We also encourage continued United States and United Nations efforts
towards a cease-fire and the resumption of peace negotiations," the document
stated.

The board statement outlines several steps to peace, many of them based on
resolutions passed by the General Conference, the denomination's highest
legislative body and the only entity that speaks for the whole United
Methodist Church.

"Since United States' aid has been used by Israel to prolong the illegal
occupation of Palestinian land, we call for that aid to be formally
monitored so that its use complies with United States law, prohibiting its
use in situations where it does not comply," the board said. Quoting from
the 2000 Book of Resolutions (No. 293), the board also called for deducting
"annually from any Israeli loan guarantees an amount equal to all Israeli
settlement spending every year, including spending for settlements in and
around Jerusalem."

Other points:
7	" 'We request that the U.S. government re-evaluate the entire
structure of aid to the Middle East' " and ask for economic support for
efforts of nongovernmental organizations. (2000 Book of Resolutions, No.
295)
7	"We insist 'that the United States Government immediately release
the remaining portion of humanitarian aid it promised to the Palestinian
people in 1993, and encourage other nations to do the same.'" (2000 Book of
Resolutions, No. 295)
7	"We urge the United States and all other member states of the United
Nations to make clear Israel's obligation to end the occupation and to abide
by United Nations Resolutions Nos. 242 and 338 and all other relevant
resolutions." (2000 Book of Resolutions, No. 305)
7	"We urge the United Nations to send an international peacekeeping
force, and encourage regional and intergovernmental bodies, such as the
European Union, to send human rights monitors to the region."
7	"We call upon all entities that serve as mediators in this conflict
to seek the recognition and implementation of international human rights and
humanitarian laws" - not primarily for their own national interests.
7	"We endorse the World Council of Churches' Ecumenical Accompaniment
Program in Palestine and Israel" and support it as facilitating peacemaking.

The board urged United Methodists to sign a document called "A Christian
Call for Peace," prepared by Churches for Middle East Peace, and to become
more informed about how they can help end the suffering of both Palestinians
and Israelis.

The board president, vice president and top staff executive - Bishop S.
Clifton Ives, Bishop Beverly J. Shamana and Jim Winkler, respectively -
together with the Rev. Liberato C. Bautista, who heads the board's United
Nations office, recently returned from a trip to Pakistan and the Middle
East, where they met with many people from the various governments and
faiths. Accounts of their trip, which also included two other bishops and
the top staff executive of the church's communications agency, provided the
impetus for the statement.

"I love the state of Israel, and I want us as a denomination to do what we
can to secure peace for the people of Israel and the people of the whole
region," Winkler said of the board's statement. "We believe the best way to
proceed toward peace is for the state of Israel to withdraw from the
territories that have been illegally occupied since 1967."

Winkler declared that the occupation is the major obstacle to peace based on
his conversations with leaders and ordinary people there.

"The international community and the United Nations have been crystal clear
about this problem, but here in the United States all too often we have let
our love for Israel blind ourselves to the obvious path to peace, which is
to say to our Israeli brothers and sisters: you've got to end the violence;
you've got to dismantle the settlements; you've got to address the right of
return for refugees, or else you're just not going to have peace."

The board's statement can be read at http://www.umc-gbcs.org/gbpr130.htm
online.

Board members also approved a resolution advocating self-determination of
Puerto Rico, in keeping with U.N. resolution No. 1514 and United Methodist
resolutions Nos. 274 and 277, and calling for seeking an end to the Navy's
use of the island of Vieques for bombing practice.

Looking to 2008, which will be the 100th anniversary of the denomination's
Social Creed, the board agreed to ask the 2004 General Conference to
designate the 2005-2008 quadrennium as an anniversary celebration. The board
wants every local church and annual (regional) conference to be encouraged
to study the church's Social Principles, which evolved from the Social
Creed. The proposal includes a variety of suggested activities.

In other business board members:
7	Approved several forwarding requests for money from the World
Service Contingency Fund, including money to hold a legislative briefing
March 2-5 next year and to enable central (overseas) conference
participation in the U.N. Advocacy Network.
7	Learned that a $50,000 grant has been awarded to the board by the
National Religious Partnership for the Environment to conduct workshops in
Louisiana and Mississippi.
7	Agreed to join the Coalition on a Peaceful End to Terrorism, the
Global Health Council and the Ecumenical Environmental Justice Network.
7	Urged the U.S. government "to support the work of the U.N.
Population Fund by releasing the $34 million for fiscal year 2002 and
allocating $50 million in fiscal year 2003 as outlined in House Resolution
3916, sponsored by Rep. Carolyn Maloney" (D-N.Y.).
7	Approved awarding 12 Shared Mission Focus on Young People and 16
Peace with Justice grants.
7	Worked to bolster the church's efforts in alcohol and substance
abuse, including preparing an annotated list of resources on alcohol and
giving future consideration to staffing needs in this area.

# # #

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org