From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Task force encounters objections over attempt to meet with groups

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date Mon, 18 Mar 2002 16:20:31 -0500 (EST)

     PLEASE NOTE: Due to a malfunction in our automated posting system, this story is being
posted manually to the list. Duplicate copies MAY arrive when the automated posting system
is restored. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

March 18, 2002

2002-061

Task force encounters objections over attempt to meet with groups in Diocese of Fort Worth

by Nancy Jenkins

     (ENS) Three representatives from a task force appointed by the Executive Council
visited the Diocese of Fort Worth on March 6, part of a process inaugurated at the 2000
General Convention to work with the three dioceses that do not ordain women to the
priesthood-and the reception was not much better than it was at a previous visit in
October.

     Bishop Peter James Lee of Virginia, co-chair of the nine-member task force, the Rev.
David Chee of Los Angeles, and Sarah Harte of New York arranged a meeting at Trinity Church
in Fort Worth with three groups of people-a lay person and priest from each of the
deaneries of the diocese from a list provided by Bishop Jack Iker; 15 lay persons and
clergy, some of whom had e-mailed the team and asked to express a variety of views; and a
group that included the three female priests from Fort Worth who had been ordained in the
neighboring Diocese of Dallas under an agreement between the two dioceses.

     Iker said in a letter to the diocese that the meeting was scheduled "with no prior
consultation whatsoever with me concerning the time, date or place" and that he was not
provided with a list of participants. "When I wrote to state my objections to the presiding
bishop and Bishop Peter Lee, chairman of the task force, I was told that I was not invited
to this meeting and that it would go on as planned," Iker said.

     Iker charged that "these tactics are contrary to the spirit of courtesy and respect
which are supposed to govern the way this task force is to operate" and that "we should be
speaking openly and honestly to one another, in truth and love, not behind closed doors in
secretive meetings." In addition to his objections, Iker said that the Standing Committee
has also written to Lee and Presiding Bishop Frank T. Griswold to "demand that these
uninvited, rude and disruptive proceedings be brought to a prompt halt."

     Lee says that he wrote to Iker on February 5, and informed him of the plans for the
visit, explaining that the meetings would be closed to the press and to the public in order
for the team to do its work. Iker and the diocesan Standing Committee protested the plans
and demanded that the team meet only with Iker, the Standing Committee and the diocesan
executive council. Lee responded by repeating the team's conviction that it needed to meet
with diverse people in the diocese in a context that encouraged free expression of opinion.
"I offered for the team to return to Fort Worth for a third meeting with the groups cited
by the Standing Committee but that offer has not been accepted," said Lee.

     When the team arrived at Trinity Church they learned from its rector, the Rev. Fred
Barker, that he had received a pastoral direction from Iker, ordering him to include
members of the Standing Committee at all meetings throughout the day. Lee said that the
team conceded rather than place the rector in a difficult position.

     During the meetings the team learned that Standing Committee members were tape-
recording the conversations, without informing those present or seeking their consent.

Resolution A045 links:

General Convention 2000 - Resolution A045 (Final)

The General Convention Executive Council Task Force on A045

ENS stories:

July 13, 2000: Deputies affirm women's ordination mandatory for all

July 16, 2000: Bishops approve plan for monitoring women's ordination

July 19, 2000: Convention approves continued monitoring of women's ordination

February 9, 2001: Executive Council approves "visitors" to dioceses not ordaining
women

May 22, 2001: Communiquh from May 15th meeting with the Presiding Bishop

June 15, 2001: Caucus defends sending women priests to resistant dioceses

February 25, 2002: Executive Council task force visits three dioceses that do not
ordain women priests

March 6, 2002: Bishop of Ft. Worth objects to report of task force visit

--Nancy Jenkins is director of communications for the Diocese of Virginia.